DUI FLX Extreme

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaFeenD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone have experience with this suit. I am in the market for a new suit and have heard so many great things about the fit of a DUI TLS but not the ruggedness. Can anyone compare? I have been looking at Santi suits to address the ruggedness deficiencies I have been hearing about and would like to know what others think.

I have dove a CLX450 for years, both as a public safety diver and a dive shop owner. I don't treat my gear gingerly and it has seen very hard use. Apart from the normal maintenance such as zipper changes (after 10 years) and seal replacements I have never had any holes in it until recently when I put a couple of holes in it. This dive I was in a pond looking for a gun in really bad vis and wound up cutting it, and me up a little. But this pond was full of junk, I even found a pitchfork while diving in zero vis. For normal diving, or even really hard diving it has never really had any issues at all. I have done many dives around wrecked cars, ships, and broken glass, and never had an issue at all. In the last year or so I have gone through several wet suits, but my DUI suit keeps going. I am keeping the CLX (for now), but the TLS is going to be my primary daily wear suit, and hopefully with the 30/30 I will replace my wetsuits.

Anyway, I just ordered two new suits for myself and I went with the lighter weight TLS350 and a 30/30. I am not a bit worried about the durability of them, I was looking for the most comfortable suit I could get, and this is the one I chose. I am confident they will hold up very well. I am sure you will have great luck with the TLS350 or the FLX. I don't worry about durability of these suits at all in my diving.

Brent

May I ask why you feel you need the most rugged suit available?

I have owned two TLS 350's and found them to be very rugged. If you will be doing recreational diving you really shouldn't plan on bumping into anything anyway. Yes, crap happens but planning to avoid the "crap" is time and money better spent IMHO. Get a TLS350 and add some knee pads and butt pads to it if you will be doing shore diving.

The TLS isn't marketed as a rugged dry suit but it is. It's light and rugged. Most of the stuff that is marketed to be "rugged" in the commercial world is generally just more expensive and usually unnecessary for the vast majority of people who buy them....like an SUV or a Hummer. :)

Now, if you will be doing commercial diving in any way that's another story perhaps.

I tried the FLX extreme, the TLS350 and a few others at the last dog days... I bought the CLX450 as it just felt better to me. I liked the way it squeezed, and I knew exactly what it was doing on my body if that makes any sense to you.

To me the FLX felt a lot like the TLS 350 but in the chest it felt a little more puffy, but it may have been the zip seals... basically they felt very similar to me, but when I put on the CLX450 I knew it was the one after my first dive. Sometimes you just know what works well for you so give the suit a try if you can find one; I'm glad I did as I was surprised I liked the 450 because I did not want to try the 'heavy/tough looking' suit at first

USIA Techniflex/Hog Predator *same suit* has worked great for me doing some heavy wrecks. Had to take a soldering iron to put the pee valve in because nothing else would cut the Bioflex fabric. Fits more comfortably imho than the TLS 350 as the material stretches with you as you move. That being said, it is much heavier than the TLS, but worth it if you're outside of the caves

USIA Techniflex/Hog Predator *same suit* has worked great for me doing some heavy wrecks. Had to take a soldering iron to put the pee valve in because nothing else would cut the Bioflex fabric. Fits more comfortably imho than the TLS 350 as the material stretches with you as you move. That being said, it is much heavier than the TLS, but worth it if you're outside of the caves

How quick does that HOG drysuit dry after a dive?

May I ask why you feel you need the most rugged suit available?

Sure!
I have heard many reports of non stop pinhole leaks in the TLS suits. So when I say durable I mean it's ability to avoid pinhole leaks under normal handling and dive stress. I don't really plan on kneeling. Ever. So, knee reinforcement isn't really the issue.

I have heard from a few that the FLX is much more resistant to pinhole leaked because of increased durability and was hoping some users could report on that here. Also, on how it compares to the tls too.

It's pretty much dry in a couple of hours. I built a PVC rack and the boots dry out pretty quick with a hair dryer on it, but otherwise the boots take for bloody ever.

Without the hairdryer it takes a few hours

It's pretty much dry in a couple of hours. I built a PVC rack and the boots dry out pretty quick with a hair dryer on it, but otherwise the boots take for bloody ever.

Without the hairdryer it takes a few hours

Bummer. I have the same issue with my Hollis FX100. I'm searching the threads to find any mention of rugged with a quick dry time.

Sure!
I have heard many reports of non stop pinhole leaks in the TLS suits. So when I say durable I mean it's ability to avoid pinhole leaks under normal handling and dive stress. I don't really plan on kneeling. Ever. So, knee reinforcement isn't really the issue.

I have heard from a few that the FLX is much more resistant to pinhole leaked because of increased durability and was hoping some users could report on that here. Also, on how it compares to the tls too.

Oh I see. Hmmm, I have never owned the FLX but I have owned two TLS suits so I can comment on those. I never had any leaks in my TLS suits. All that said, the FLX may be more pinhole resistant assuming the TLS is in fact less pinhole resistant.

IMHO, the TLS is more than enough suit. If you look at my profile you will see that we both have a lot of the same diving places listed. I do shore dive a lot though and while I never plan to be on my knees or my butt, it does happen rarely and unfortunately, lol.

All that said, I just switched to the Pinnacle Black Ice in hopes that it will be warmer. I still get way too cold in a trilam suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom