DUI dry gloves or others?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aboalreem

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am ordering my DUI CF200, I would like to get zip gloves...any advice on the DUI SI system or Compressed Neoprene gloves!!! or should I order different once from another manufacturer?:confused: :huh:
thanks for your help

It is hard to tell which one is right for you.

I have been waited for their new gloves and check it out at the dive show.

As you know, an old zip glove doesn't have a dam inside. But, the new one has it so that it will block the water flow from any accident on the glove. However, it is pricey and there is no major difference except a dam inside. DUI technician is also arguing that there isn't much water flood even in an old design one after being punctured.

For the compressed Neoprene gloves, it is like a wet glove (neoprene), so it will give more cold protection. However, it isn't a dexterous choice if you are a photographer.

So, go figure.... Just my 2 cent.

The zip gloves are in my humble opinion to expensive for the value. I prefer the dry rings system only for cost vs reward. Dry gloves are easy to puncture in rough environments and you will replace at least one pair I bet within the first few weeks of diving them.
The DUI orange gloves puncture quite easily. there are several other gloves you can change to that will increase your life span. With the zip seal you are limited to DUI's brand and at $100 + a pair that gets expensive fast.

With the ring system you can change at will, quick and easy. The drawl back is the size and hardness of the internal rings. With wrist mounted accessories there are times that they interfere with where you would like to place them. Entering into a tight harness can be fun too. All in all there have been thousands of dives done with the ring system and we were all happy we had them.

The zip seal in the neck is ok as the cost to buy a replacement is near the same as having a seal installed at a shop and you don't miss out on a dive.

Hall

Had the zip gloves. Hated them:

* Gotta have them on when you don the suit - so you're getting dressed with them on.

* Puncture one, its easy to fix. Bust one (like the soft ring splitting) and its $136 for another pair, thank you very much.

Its April. In another couple of weeks the Diving Concepts Dry gloves will start showing up here, on TheDecoStop.com and on eBay (there are already 3 or 4 pairs of the Vikings and a pair of the Bare's on eBay now...)

Every year, in April as the hinter regions start to thaw, people start selling off their dry gloves.

New, a set of DC's are about $140 from COVCI.com (last year's price... haven't been there to check for many months... may be different now.)

I picked up 4 pair last April off the secondary market for $65 - $75 ea.

Glove replacement, depending on the gloves you select is $6 - $12 a pair!!

You can dress barehanded!

You can select the liner that is best for you, or use no liner.

Build a tool and you can replace a torn or punctured glove on site in 5 - 9 minutes.

You can use DC gloves on a DUI suit with Zip seals....

I can go on and on.

I've never had a DC glove fail, come off, unsnap or whatever on hundreds of dives. I dive, come home, put them on the glove dryer and dive them again a day or two later. They're an excellent solution. I have a long pair for one suit, and a Hamburger Helper shorty pair for another suit. They're easy to customize to a perfect length.

Zip gloves you get what you get.

Zip Gloves are expensive, unruly to don, offer no protection in a flood situation (unless you paid even MORE for the DAM version) and are not held on nearly as securely as the DC gloves. In their defense, they use "soft rings" and come with a pretty velcro strip glued to them.

---
Ken

I'm with Ken on the DC gloves. I love mine. Nice and toasty, no problems in 50 degree water. Lately, the rings have become a little "sticky," like, they don't want to come off when I want them off. A bit of leverage solves that issue.

I'd like to see Ken's replacement tool. I haven't needed to replace one in years, but the first time I did replace a glove, I grunted and swore a lot. Inexperience with the product, no doubt.

I thought I saw some Dive Rite dry gloves that were similar to the DC gloves, but had a locking clamp. I liked the idea of the clamp for ease of removal, but figured that the clamp is an entanglement hazard and/or could damage a suit.

AzAtty:
I'm with Ken on the DC gloves. I love mine. Nice and toasty, no problems in 50 degree water. Lately, the rings have become a little "sticky," like, they don't want to come off when I want them off. A bit of leverage solves that issue.

I'd like to see Ken's replacement tool. I haven't needed to replace one in years, but the first time I did replace a glove, I grunted and swore a lot. Inexperience with the product, no doubt.

I thought I saw some Dive Rite dry gloves that were similar to the DC gloves, but had a locking clamp. I liked the idea of the clamp for ease of removal, but figured that the clamp is an entanglement hazard and/or could damage a suit.

I'm a photographer - I bust out a little Ikelite Oring goop on the gloves every dozen dives or so (on the internal Glove-Side Oring and on the suit-side ring) and they slip on and off with the greatest of ease.

Here are some pics of the tool. There is a whole thread I put up on SB here regarding its creation (large ABS coupling... NOT THE PIPE) and use. There are a couple of threads, really. If you search by my name and use the word Tool, in addition to some very funny stuff that will likely come up, you'll find the threads.

I have it down to about 5 minutes a glove for XL and L. The Mediums take a little longer. But now that I cut off the piping (which inhibits the stretch of the medium glove) I have those down to about 8 or 9 minutes.

---
Ken

59766946.DCGloveTool1.jpg

59767104.DCGloveToolDetail.jpg

I'm with Ken on this one! After diving with him and seeing just how easy these things are I was sold.

I have them with my DUI suit and ZipSeals. I just put the Diving Concepts rings on a spare set of standard wrist ZipSeals, this way I can choose between wet hands with normal Zips, or dry hands with the rings and gloves.

When I replaced the gloves using the tool I made from the plans from Ken I swore a lot when getting them stretched to fit, but it can be done!

Best of luck,

Mark Vlahos

DUI SI system is the same or similar to DC?

aboalreem:
DUI SI system is the same or similar to DC?

Yes, it is simular in design. You will not need a tool to pop the gloves on or off. I found a spray bottle with a soapy solution make the task of installing them fast and simple by hand. Taking them off after a dive is quick and easy if you so desire. The cuff rings on the suit are soft and the hard rings tuck up inside. With practice you can pop them off in seconds with little effort with your gloved hand.

DUI also sells the SITEK system - adds on to latex seals while keeping seal intact. Got those with my DUI suit and love them. The wrist rings are EASILY removable for long term storage or in warmer waters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom