DUI CLX450 vs. CF200

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharkster

Registered
Reaction score
I had a question about DUI's CLX450 and CF200 drysuits - both of these seem very abrasion and puncture resistant but the CF200 seems way more popular. However, I would rather have the lighter, faster-drying trilam since I live in an apartment and can't take a shower while my suit dries :10:. Trilams also seem to offer more range of motion and better options for different undergarment configs, and the telescopic torso DUI has would aid streamlining. Can anyone offer pros and cons of these two suits?

Unfortunately I don't own either suit, but have had a chance to dive in each. I thought the CF200 was way, way more comfortable. The CLX450 seemed pretty stiff. I'm sure owners of each could give you better feedback, but given the choice I'd deal with the slower drying CF200 or go with the very light and fast drying TLS350.

D.C.C.

I guess the most important thing is really performance IN the water... even so if I'm not sacrificing durability, range of motion, or streamlining I would like a lighter, quick-drying drysuit out of the water. Do you think the CLX450 felt stiff because it wasn't fitted to you, or because of the shell material itself?

sharkster:
I guess the most important thing is really performance IN the water... even so if I'm not sacrificing durability, range of motion, or streamlining I would like a lighter, quick-drying drysuit out of the water. Do you think the CLX450 felt stiff because it wasn't fitted to you, or because of the shell material itself?

There is a minor sacrifice going from the CF200 to the CLX450, how measureable, that, I think really depends on how you dive. If you are banging through wrecks and/or across the bottom all the time the CF is the way to go. If not, either one will work for you.

The CF will be 'somewhat' more streamlined as it stretchs so they build it 'a bit' tighter initially. No stretch in the CLX so they build it a bit 'looser' so that you have the range of motion. This equates to 'a bit more drag'.

The CF is the ultimate in durablility, the CLX is rather close but measureably less durable.

If fast drying is what you want the TLS is the fastest, CLX running second. However I could dry my CF200 in a few hours with a fan on it.

The CLX can seem a bit 'stiff' at first until the material breaks in a bit.

Ultimately you will not go wrong with either choice both have major upsides with little on the downside.

Hope this helps a bit
Waynne Fowler

Waynne from your post I get the impression that you find the CF to be superior... however you also mention that both have their upsides. What are some advantages of the 450 over the CF (besides faster drying which is really a convenience thing)? The owner of my LDS had one of these suits and did many wreck dives and never had a puncture in 4 years. He told me that the CF, while more durable, is a more "grabby" material and can get snagged on protrusions more easily than the 450... which makes sense since it's just neoprene after all. These two suits really don't have much of a cost difference so any experience you guys can share would be helpful.

sharkster:
Waynne from your post I get the impression that you find the CF to be superior... however you also mention that both have their upsides. What are some advantages of the 450 over the CF (besides faster drying which is really a convenience thing)? The owner of my LDS had one of these suits and did many wreck dives and never had a puncture in 4 years. He told me that the CF, while more durable, is a more "grabby" material and can get snagged on protrusions more easily than the 450... which makes sense since it's just neoprene after all. These two suits really don't have much of a cost difference so any experience you guys can share would be helpful.

I have owned a CF and a TLS both good suits, I have known and still know a number of people who dive the CLX.

The CF is more 'grabby' no question about that, although I don't see this as a problem as if you do snag on something in a wreck you should feel it right away and get off it in a proper fashion (feel for it first and detach). However even thought your LDS owner has not punctured his CLX it is not as durable, it will not withstand the same abuse as a CF.. That is not to say that the CLX will not handle alot, the CF will just handle more.
The CF is also much heavier both dry and wet. Negligable but very noticable dry. Wet HUGE! I never minded it but it is a differance of .... I don't know exactly....maybe 5lbs wet or so?? A friend who has dove a CF and owned a CLX said it was a significant difference in weight when the suit is wet.

As I said. You will not go wrong with either one. You just have to try them on get a feel for them and let how you feel in them help you make the choice.

waynne fowler:
As I said. You will not go wrong with either one. You just have to try them on get a feel for them and let how you feel in them help you make the choice.

I wish I could try them! Unfortunately, this won't happen because although I would probably fit a stock medium ok my feet are too big (size 12) and there's no way DUI is going to have suits like this when their demo comes to my state in 2 weeks. Not to mention Texas isn't exactly a hotbed of drysuit diving, so I pretty much have to base my purchase on anecdotal instead of personal evidence. :sad:
Still don't know which to choose! Maybe I should flip a coin...

sharkster:
I wish I could try them! Unfortunately, this won't happen because although I would probably fit a stock medium ok my feet are too big (size 12) and there's no way DUI is going to have suits like this when their demo comes to my state in 2 weeks. Not to mention Texas isn't exactly a hotbed of drysuit diving, so I pretty much have to base my purchase on anecdotal instead of personal evidence. :sad:
Still don't know which to choose! Maybe I should flip a coin...

Let start here.

1.) What kind of diving do you see yourself doing in... oh... let's say 5 years.?
2.) Will you be doing any instruction or DM'ing?
3.) On a scale of 1 - 6 how hard are you on a suit. (or more importantly how hard would you like to be:wink: :wink:
1 being very easy zero abuse... never on my knees, never rub, rinse, clean, wax
2 very little abuse.. sometimes on my knees. sometimes rub, sometimes clean etc..
3 average/some abuse but not much. Clean mostly, crawl & rub abit
4 above average abuse. clean once in a while. Do some bottom grubbin'
5 abusive don't clean much, crawl alot scrape on things
6 serious abuse.. NEVER clean ALWAY crawl may work in suit. Throw the suit and
forget it.

You want to look at the long term picture here, don't by something that you may out grow (not speaking in sizing)

Then ask yourself what types of things you'd like in a drysuit.

1.) would you like it to stretch a bit when you reach a limiting point in the suit.. like when you squat down. Or would you rather have the suit allow that by just allowing more 'room' for you to move. As I said before the CF stretchs abit so it is cut closer.

2.) How much versitility do you want in the thermal capabilities of the suit. The CF is a warmer suit inherently. It is cut closer. Therefore you sometimes will not be able to add as much undergarments under it as in a CLX. But it is about 1 maybe 2 degrees warmer by itself. This also plays into the thought that if your like me, I'd take my drysuit to mexico for the cave stuff... when I get to go get trained (you readin' this bossman?:D ) The CF will be heavier in the baggage and probably would be a bit too warm (at least for alot of people) even with minimul undergarments... However with minimum undergarments the CF will be a lot closer fitting... Does that make sense or did I just confuse the heck out of you.... I know I'm a bit confused now:11:

You catching on to my point about growing 'into' rather than 'out of' the suit?

3.) How much travel will you do. Is lighter better??? You have to answer that.

My suggestion to all divers who don't want to 'just settle' for something, buy something that offers a bit more then you think you'll need. That way if you need it you have it. If you don't ever need it ... so what.

When I built houses for a living nothing sucked worse than going out to buy tools being motivated by money alone. It almost always forced me to buy a tool that wasn't quite what I wanted. The whole time I used that tool I'd be thinking about the things that it wouldn't do and not being completely happy with it. So I'd abuse it so it'd break then I'd go buy the one I really wanted.. way more expensive.. I think your putting some good thought into this whole thing and haven't heard you complain about the $$ once.. good news.. you can pay good $$ up front or spend MORE of it down the road.

Those are the best tip's I can give you man..

There is just one more.. and it truely is the best tip of all. Go to your dive store. These guys know you, you know them. If you trust that they feel about your money the same way they do their own, and will help you spend your $$ as if you were their mother (you just won't get the same pricing...:11: ) then listen to them. Let them help you make a choice. If of course your not so sure that you will get trustworthy advice then you are doing the right thing by seeking advice here.

good luck

Sharkster,

I think if you have a chance to go to a Rally, do it. You never know what suits they will have. As for your foot size, the sock type of foot pocket DUI uses is pretty forgiving. They are sized for use with pretty heavy booties so unless it's bone-chilling cold, you may be able to fit your foot in with just a sock to try the suit.

My wife was reluctant to go to a Rally because she is far from 'stock size'. Low and behold Faith had a custom suit there that fit her perfectly (except for the boot) with zip-seals for perfect seal fit. She dived it, loved it, bought one. (TLS 350). She doesn't care for the rock boots, so she just uses one size larger neoprene boots.

As for your question of the stiffness of the 450, it may well have just not been 'broken-in', but Wayne would be better to tell you that.

Dennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom