Dude tries to rob bank and get away using scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Exactly, where was his buddy?

If I was his buddy I would have first STOPped him, told him to BREATHE normally, then THINK of how to solve the problem and then ACT

Running with dive gear to a dive site from the police doesn't only add Physical Stress but also Psychological Stress.
What we have here is a clearly stressed diver, an accident just waiting to happen.

He should have cancelled the dive or at least have a rest at the water's edge where we could discuss his fears/problems and find a solution

"Is there anything about the dive that bothers you?"

Sebastian:
Exactly, where was his buddy?

If I was his buddy I would have first STOPped him, told him to BREATHE normally, then THINK of how to solve the problem and then ACT

Running with dive gear to a dive site from the police doesn't only add Physical Stress but also Psychological Stress.
What we have here is a clearly stressed diver, an accident just waiting to happen.

He should have cancelled the dive or at least have a rest at the water's edge where we could discuss his fears/problems and find a solution

"Is there anything about the dive that bothers you?"
With all that stress I'm surprised he didn't have a stroke.

So, from a DIR point of view, was he a "stroke" or "a stroke waiting to happen"?

Christian

I think he was a stroke waiting to happen. Furthermore, could you imagine the short bottom time this guy would have had. I don't think exercise ( other than carring your gear) immediatley before diving is a good thing. If he had a buddy I hope he wasn't waiting underwater for him, he might still be there.

(no one on this board, I hope!) :wink:

From the AP: (April 16, 2004)

OLYMPIA, Wash. - A bank robber wearing a wetsuit under his clothes tried to make a scuba-diving getaway but was tackled by police before he reached the water, authorities say.

Police subdued the man Thursday on the shore of Budd Inlet after a car chase, a crash and a sweaty quarter-mile dash through the woods, during which he tried to sprint into the water while lugging his diving gear and a backpack filled with the stolen cash, Sgt. Ray Holmes said.

Charles E. Coma, 35, was jailed on suspicion of robbery.

Police said Coma held up a bank Thursday with an assault rifle and fled with an undisclosed amount of money, leading police on a two-mile car chase. After crashing into a tree, he got out and ran, wearing a weight belt with an air tank and regulator slung over his shoulder, police said.

Coma managed to get close enough to toss the backpack into the water before officers tackled him on the shore and used a stun gun to halt him, Holmes said. The money was recovered.

Police found a pair of fins inside the car.

He had gone into the bank with a wetsuit under an overcoat or a sweatsuit, police said.

I wonder if he meant to stash the cash uw? Diving seems to be a really slow way to make a getaway - and it isn't all that difficult to track someone by their bubbles...

UWSojourner:
Based on PADI Specialty Course advertising:

"How far will you take this diving thing? It's up to you. With PADI Specialty Diver Programs you can chart your course for a colorful collection of awesome dives."

Got to admit. He took diving pretty far and it was colorful. Yep. We may have just witnessed the first PADI Bank Robbing Specialty.

What would the course be called?
LOL,
Caymaniac :wink:

I feel sorry for the officer who tackled him, that tank HAD to hurt!
Ber :lilbunny:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom