dual outlet valve on single tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Military solid-bar, single-outlet manifold with J-valve on a pair of OMS/Faber LP45's/50's.

Except, like @rhwestfall, I use an octopus with.

View attachment 815297.

rx7diver
LOL Well, there's always a few old farts who refuse to get with the times....

Yeah, why they use a second second stage is beyond me, too.

1702353376932.png

I’m not far from facing my 300 bar valves ….
I would obviously never condone or advise anyone do such a thing.
Fun fact. Everybody that cuts down a 300 bar valve will die.

I would obviously never condone or advise anyone do such a thing.
Fun fact. Everybody that cuts down a 300 bar valve will die.

As long as a deity takes out a young feline first , I’m in

Sorry for the OT but I remember literally laughing out loud years ago during my DM stuff when PADI basicallly said I’d die if I made or modified my own gear. If I recall correctly I basically said, “well I’m screwed.”

The dual outlet single cylinder valve either Y valve or H valve has long since gone out of favor with today’s technical training agencies. What was popular 20-30 years ago is not acceptable now. Twin cylinders either backmount independent or manifold doubles or sidemount is what is being practiced today. After 36 years of Great Lakes wreck diving and now 24 years of cave diving you won’t see dual outlet valves anymore.
I would say that Y valves never were in favor in the U.S. While available at one time, they were not the “go to” option. I used doubles back in the late 70s just as I do today. The Y valve came and went in a relatively short time as most recreational divers stuck with what they knew. The added expense of an additional 1st stage for recreational divers was not a popular option and for those that had multiple 1st stages, they generally had doubles so a Y valve may not be a popular option for them.

Y valves are still used and If I do a recreational dive or a routine wreck dive, all I use is a Y valve setup. Depth and deco is what drives me into doubles. If Beauchat would bring back these valves, you would probably see a lot more of them at your local dive spots. There is just not enough of them to go around in the used market and the few that have them, generally hang onto them and won’t sell them.

Y valves are still used and If I do a recreational dive or a routine wreck dive, all I use is a Y valve setup. Depth and deco is what drives me into doubles. If Beauchat would bring back these valves, you would probably see a lot more of them at your local dive spots. There is just not enough of them to go around in the used market and the few that have them, generally hang onto them and won’t sell them.
I realize this topic is posted in the basic forum. But my typical cave dive has me carrying multiple cylinders. Steel 120’s sidemount, single AL 40 for deco and a single AL 80 for stage diving. So I’m used to carrying multiple cylinders with different gasses. But when I recreational dive in The Keys, it’s prudent using only a single AL 80 to carry and sling either an Al 20 or AL40 for redundancy depending on my planned depth. An independent sling bottle I feel is a better choice than a Y or H valve. Again, today’s Technical training agencies have long abandoned them and prefer students starting down the technical path start with doubles. I’m not saying you can’t use Y or H valves, it’s just not recommended today.

Technical training agencies have long abandoned them and prefer students starting down the technical path start with doubles. I’m not saying you can’t use Y or H valves, it’s just not recommended today.
That's not what I find when I look at the training standards. Maybe you are talking about certain instructors you know rather than entire agencies?

You won’t see them in North Florida cave country.
Correct. However, there are one or two other places in the world that people do tech diving.....
Your point was that agencies no longer backed them...is the goalpost now whether something is used in N.FL cave country?

Back
Top Bottom