Dual Citizenship

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

freeflow

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm new to the forum. Looking for info on dual citizenship for Belize or Costa Rica. Anyone?

cdiver2:
The US do's not allow dual citizenship

I didn't know that? Actually, I'm not sure they can do anything about it. Might ask that question on the Central America forum, so some locals might address it.

And Howdy!

Welcome to SB!!
:happywave Put us in your computer's favorites and check in often. This is a great place to learn, compare, argue :argue: Look around our various forums - everything from New-To-Scuba to Instructors-Only to Dive Medicine.

I am not at all a computer whiz, but I have most of these controls figured out. If I can help you learn to navigate around here, send me a PM. Click my handle in the upper left here, then click Send PM...

don

BTW - it would really help in future discussion if you'd complete your Profile. Click "User CP" upper left of this page, then go down to "Edit Profile."

:D

I have dual citizenship in Columbia and the US. Neither recognizes the other's authority over my butt when I am in their country. I will say that getting a Columbian passport is easier than getting a US one. :D

Belize will sell a citizenship to anyone who (1) they like and (2) wants to pay for it.
"To be eligible for citizenship and passport, an individual must pay US $40,000 to the Government of Belize. For a family with children under the age of 18 years it is US $50,000. An additional payment of US $15,000 is required for a child 18 years and over.
Maritime's fee is US $7,800 for an individual and US $9,600 for a family."
The United States considers the acceptance of citizenship in another country as de facto renunciation of US citizenship. Whether the US enforces that or not probably depends on whether or not one "rises above the Radar Horizon."
Rick

QUOTE=cdiver2]The US do's not allow dual citizenship[/QUOTE]

My wife has both .When she became a US citizen no one said she had to turn in her passport on notify the German consulate that she was giving up her German citizenship to become an American.
So therefore she has both. So does my daughter. She was born in a German hospital and has a German birth certificate and has the right to claim German citizenship with giving up her U.S.
As far as the countries your talking about I have no idea.
Fred

fgray1:
QUOTE=cdiver2]The US do's not allow dual citizenship

My wife has both .When she became a US citizen no one said she had to turn in her passport on notify the German consulate that she was giving up her German citizenship to become an American.
So therefore she has both. So does my daughter. She was born in a German hospital and has a German birth certificate and has the right to claim German citizenship with giving up her U.S.
As far as the countries your talking about I have no idea.
Fred[/QUOTE]

But Uncle Pug and I are correct. The US do's not recognize dual citizenship of ANY country, they cannot take a passport from any other country by international agreement all passports belong to the issuing country not the person on the passport. I know a lot of people that have two passports but it do's not change the fact that the US will not recognize dual citizenship. As UP says keep your head low and there should be no problems.

fgray1:
They don't recognize it but they do allow it. One of those weird play on word things.
When I inquired about DC I was told they don't recognize it and if I take citizenship then I have to send my British passport back, this is up to you to do this.
I don't know what line the US would take if you got into trouble in another country and were holding two passports. I person ely would not like to find out, You know what politicians/government workers are like and they are the same in every country.

fgray1:
They don't recognize it but they do allow it. One of those weird play on word things.

Fred
That's not exactly true. Because if your wife goes to Germany on her German passport and anything happens to her the US Embassy would not help her and at the same time would treat her as a non US Citizen (a person who gave up US passport). This happened with my uncle who had both - US and Polish citizenship.
It took a lot of trouble to convince the US authorities not to take his US passport away. By the way he was a federal employee.

Mania

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom