Dual Citizenship

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cdiver2:
The US do's not allow dual citizenship

While cdiver2 is right in the TRUEST in the sense of the word, I believe that your question has a deeper root. I guessing you just want to go down and live for a while.

The ability to live and work in a foriegn country comes in many flexible forms. For example... In the the BVI one can be a Citizen, a Resident Alien, a Belonger, or a LandHolder, or a combination. My father is a Landholder and as such is qualified to be a Resident Alien.

A lot of people do not hold land but are Belongers. Belongers can vote and buy land and can come from a different country altogether but are afforded free travel between countries, like the US, without giving up their belonger status - even if they become a US citizen.

Consequently - if I married a Belonger - I could apply for Belonger status (I believe) and not lose my US Citizenship.

Update: BTW - getting a dual citizenship doesn't really make any sense. Anybody can go and stay up to 3 months (I believe) in most countries. If I ever stay in the BVI that long (like my dad does) I can just take a ferry to the US and back again thus renewing my 3 months. Of course they could deny me entry but that's not likely.

zboss:
While cdiver2 is right in the TRUEST in the sense of the word, I believe that your question has a deeper root. I guessing you just want to go down and live for a while.

The ability to live and work in a foriegn country comes in many flexible forms. For example... In the the BVI one can be a Citizen, a Resident Alien, a Belonger, or a LandHolder, or a combination. My father is a Landholder and as such is qualified to be a Resident Alien.

A lot of people do not hold land but are Belongers. Belongers can vote and buy land and can come from a different country altogether but are afforded free travel between countries, like the US, without giving up their belonger status - even if they become a US citizen.

Consequently - if I married a Belonger - I could apply for Belonger status (I believe) and not lose my US Citizenship.

Update: BTW - getting a dual citizenship doesn't really make any sense. Anybody can go and stay up to 3 months (I believe) in most countries. If I ever stay in the BVI that long (like my dad does) I can just take a ferry to the US and back again thus renewing my 3 months. Of course they could deny me entry but that's not likely.

In the US you can stay up to six months then you must leave, jumping on the next plane back is a no no.
Every country is different. EG St, Lucia you can-not own property or own a business unless you were born there.

cdiver2:
Every country is different. EG St, Lucia you can-not own property or own a business unless you were born there.

I think perhaps there is more to it than that... some countries require a VISA, like the US but once you get that VISA you can execute your flight.

In any case... members of the http://www.oecs.org/ implement OECS rules governing land ownership. The Supreme Appeals court was organized to rule on such matters. St. Lucia and the BVI both recognize the same land ownership laws as such. You need to obtain a land holder license much like the BVI.

See below:

http://www.stlucia.gov.lc/faq/process_for_foreigners_to_purchase_land_in_saint_lucia.htm

You know... I would rather not have that "second citizenship". While it helped me to book passage to communist block countries in the 70's, it has been of little use otherwise. I am PARANOID enough that I will never visit my home country again, lest they decide that they want to exert their authority over me. Most countries are just too volatile for my needs.

zboss:
I think perhaps there is more to it than that... some countries require a VISA, like the US but once you get that VISA you can execute your flight.

In any case... members of the http://www.oecs.org/ implement OECS rules governing land ownership. The Supreme Appeals court was organized to rule on such matters. St. Lucia and the BVI both recognize the same land ownership laws as such. You need to obtain a land holder license much like the BVI.

See below:

http://www.stlucia.gov.lc/faq/process_for_foreigners_to_purchase_land_in_saint_lucia.htm

I'm not sure who or what oecs is, but my information comes from a old Friend now living in Vieux Fort St L. He has a home and other land plots and at the moment trying to start a dive charter business. All in his sons name ( he was born in St L )
If it was that easy to do I'm sure it would all be in his name not a teenage son that just wants to chase girls around the Island all day, lucky sob.
My friend also had to prove he had income to support himself from a source where he could not touch the principle so that he did-not become a burden on the country. In other words if he had twenty million....no good as he could use that money anytime he wanted and end up with nothing.
May be its a case of it can be done but they make it that hard that you will not live long enough to get to the end of the red tape

cdiver2:
I'm not sure who or what oecs is, but my information comes from a old Friend now living in Vieux Fort St L....

I too once thought it would be easy to pick up and go to the islands - even with my father having retired to our vacation home there years ago... but it's not that easy. Sure... you COULD pick up and go but then what? Work in a bar for the rest of your life? Scuba/Boat jobs are few to begin with and to get a decent paying job you really need to know the right people AND:

1) Get Lucky that they have a job available
2) have multiple skills (aka scuba instrcutor and Diesel Mechanics License AND a Six APck License).
3) be willing to live working in a low paying job

For every reason the average ex-pat comes up with for going most come up with an equal number of reasons to leave a few years later.

The best advise I ever got was from Dad and the Neighbor... and they both said: "Get a good job in the states, work your butt off and buy a place down here to go to when you and your kids can go when you turn 60". I agree although I can't speak for your motivations.

The OECS is similar to the UN but on a smaller scale. They provide for common laws for everything from banking, immigration, and civility. For example, when you commit a crime in one country you have the right to appeal to the OECS Supreme court - which I believe - moves from country to country every few years.

Not ALL caribbean countries are members of the OECS but it is growing. I am sure Central America has the same type of organization. Maybe the Organization of Central American States?

And yes - you DO need to go through all the effort you just mentioned. It's not easy to get a Alien Landholder license unless you either wait and wait and hope your forms don't get lost or Grease The Wheels.

As for your friend child... if the kid was born to a belonger then that child is automatically a belonger and thus is legal to buy property.

Yes as you state it is not easy to move to another country, large or small. In fact I would say its harder to move to a small country than it would be to a larger one.
Or may be its the fact that on a Island everyone knows everyone. I have spoken to a few people that came to the US for a vacation and never went back just got lost in the masses

There are some advantages. My wife has the right to work in the US, where she was born, and in Canada, where her parents were born and were she was raised. I don't.

When I was a Canadian resident and starving scholar in my youth, I had to promise not to work, provide proof of health insurance, and post a bond for my car, an ancient Plymouth Valiant. When the wheels fell off, I forfeited the bond but was not even allowed to sell it for scrap, as a Canadian might. Instead, I had to sign it over as "a gift" to Her Majesty the Queen. And to this day, she's never sent me a thank you note.

DivePartner1:
There are some advantages. My wife has the right to work in the US, where she was born, and in Canada, where her parents were born and were she was raised. I don't.

When I was a Canadian resident and starving scholar in my youth, I had to promise not to work, provide proof of health insurance, and post a bond for my car, an ancient Plymouth Valiant. When the wheels fell off, I forfeited the bond but was not even allowed to sell it for scrap, as a Canadian might. Instead, I had to sign it over as "a gift" to Her Majesty the Queen. And to this day, she's never sent me a thank you note.

THE BIT*H just waite until I'm over again for a fish and chip dinner with her I'll give her a piece of my mind.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom