Dual Citizenship

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Murchison:
Belize will sell a citizenship to anyone who (1) they like and (2) wants to pay for it.
"To be eligible for citizenship and passport, an individual must pay US $40,000 to the Government of Belize. For a family with children under the age of 18 years it is US $50,000. An additional payment of US $15,000 is required for a child 18 years and over.
Maritime's fee is US $7,800 for an individual and US $9,600 for a family."
The United States considers the acceptance of citizenship in another country as de facto renunciation of US citizenship. Whether the US enforces that or not probably depends on whether or not one "rises above the Radar Horizon."
Rick

Thanks for the info.
Sounds like they do business in Belize the same way they do in Washington. I'll check into it.

Freeflow....You could have dual citizenship in Costa Rica...my mom who is from there has dual citizenship. here and in Costa Rica. good luck

Scuba65:
Freeflow....You could have dual citizenship in Costa Rica...my mom who is from there has dual citizenship. here and in Costa Rica. good luck

Thank you for the reply. I will make the necessary inquiries.

Scuba65:

check out this link:

http://travel.state.gov/loss.html

the devil, as always, is in the deatils. check out the
standard:

ADMINISTRATIVE STANDARD OF EVIDENCE

As already noted, the actions listed above can cause loss of U.S. citizenship only if performed voluntarily and with the intention of relinquishing U.S. citizenship. The Department has a uniform administrative standard of evidence based on the premise that U.S. citizens intend to retain United States citizenship when they obtain naturalization in a foreign state, subscribe to routine declarations of allegiance to a foreign state, or accept non-policy level employment with a foreign government.

and finally:

DUAL NATIONALITY

Dual nationality can occur as the result of a variety of circumstances. The automatic acquisition or retention of a foreign nationality, acquired, for example, by birth in a foreign country or through an alien parent, does not affect U.S. citizenship. It is prudent, however, to check with authorities of the other country to see if dual nationality is permissible under local law. Dual nationality can also occur when a person is naturalized in a foreign state without intending to relinquish U.S. nationality and is thereafter found not to have lost U.S. citizenship the individual consequently may possess dual nationality. While recognizing the existence of dual nationality and permitting Americans to have other nationalities, the U.S. Government does not endorse dual nationality as a matter of policy because of the problems which it may cause. Claims of other countries upon dual-national U.S. citizens often place them in situations where their obligation to one country are in conflict with the laws of the other. In addition, their dual nationality may hamper efforts to provide U.S. diplomatic and consular protection to them when they are abroad.

i.e. the biggest drawback is that if you are a dual citizen
of Colombia and the US, and you get in trouble in Colombia,
the Colombian government will treat you as a Colombian
and will NOT allow the US to protect you as it could one of
its own citizens.

Back
Top Bottom