DSS wing - not a donut - discuss

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Splitlip:
What if Patrick had more dive experience than Tobin? Does that mean we discount what Tobin has said?

That one is easy. I have a lot more experience in diving than Tobin. I'm sure he won't argue that.

I'll let Tobin address his experience if he chooses.

Best regards,

Patrick
OxyCheq
3812 Crossroads Parkway
Fort Pierce FL 34945
Ph: 772.466.4612
http://oxycheq.com

cool_hardware52:
I have every confidence that people who do sew, and or do detailed pattern development would recognise that zippers impose constraints.

Tobin, exactly what was the design constraint that a zipper imposed on your single wings?

Regards,

Patrick
OxyCheq
3812 Crossroads Parkway
Fort Pierce FL 34945

fishb0y:
Patrick, I did not think your response was sarcastic. But I am a warm water diver, Al80 doubles (I dive wet) and I'm just getting back into tech diving after a 4 year hiatus (I recently sold my OMS and bought a bp/w).

If you are a minimalist, you might try a 40#. If you are ever going to use larger or steel cylinders, I would tell you look at a 50#.

The 50# will handle dual 104s, stages and a canister light.

Both standard and Sig Series versions are available in the 40# and 50# wings. The only difference between standard and Sig Series the bladder thickness. That said I dive the standard wing. At some point may switch over to the 360 version though ... not sure if it will be the Razor or the new series.

Next month I should have a 360 loop wing in the low 40# range.

Safe diving,

Patrick
----
OxyCheq
3812 Crossroads Parkway
Fort Pierce FL 34945

cecilb63:
"Well, I simply did not realize you wanted to buy a wing? What is your typical gear configuration? Have you started diving doubles yet or still singles? Are you diving a rebreather or OC? Will you be penetrating wrecks, cave neither? What type of cylinder? Wet or dry? How much lead do you need?"

Those questions strike me as sarcastic when said in the context of your discussion.

But I don't understand the protocol here..

The type of diving you do and your gear configuration is directly relevant to selection of an appropriate wing.

That said, I don't think Tobin was interested in buying a wing. However, they are typical questions I would ask anyone that is interested in a wing.

Safe diving,

Patrick
OxyCheq
3812 Crossroads Parkway
Fort Pierce FL 34945

Well, the positive thing about the thread was it did result in me thinking of a couple ideas on another new design for a single wing. Now, just have to decide if I want to make it with or without a bladder.

Safe diving,

Patrick
OxyCheq
3812 Crossroads Parkway
Fort Pierce FL 34945

Patrick,
What are some the tradeoffs in deciding to go with or without a bladder? As an example is a bladderless Cordura singles wing, a better trade off than a nylon wing with a bladder.....

phaedrus7:
Patrick,
What are some the tradeoffs in deciding to go with or without a bladder? As an example is a bladderless Cordura singles wing, a better trade off than a nylon wing with a bladder.....
IMO, if you're cruising the reef watching the fishies, and are pretty good with your gear on the surface, a shell-less wing is fine, maybe even ideal. But if you poke around wrecks or caves and aren't real careful with your gear on the surface, the extra layer of protection the shell supplies is a good idea.

teknitroxdiver:
IMO, if you're cruising the reef watching the fishies, and are pretty good with your gear on the surface, a shell-less wing is fine, maybe even ideal. But if you poke around wrecks or caves and aren't real careful with your gear on the surface, the extra layer of protection the shell supplies is a good idea.

I think that's a pretty good start.

IMHO, a bladder-less wing can be more streamlined and can be easier to vent than a typical inner bladder/outer shell type wing. This probably apples to conventional wings more than Tobin's... all bets are off when you consider his unique approach. But this has been my experience with the wings I own.

Granted, they might be more prone to puncture and once punctured repairing them might be... hmm... controversial?.. but... if you take reasonable care, they should hold up well. For instance, I have several Pioneers that are probably 4 years old and have LOTS of dives on them and they still look as good as new. Of course, I am extremely watchful of my gear... perhaps to the point of being really weird about my stuff!

Another advantage to this type of wing is that they pack much smaller than their inner bladder/outer shell cousins. If packing small is a concern, then these are really hard to beat.

Wow! One of those timely/coincidences. I was just going to post, asking if there were any benefits to choosing a horseshoe style wing over a doughnut style. Are there any others not already posted here?
I am strongly leaning towards a Dive Rite Rec wing bp system because my local dive shop is a dealer and a great guy.(Tobin and Halcyon, etc. are still in the running but I think I may get too good a deal on the DR through my local guy to say no.
I have the usual concerns about the possibly oversized wing for mostly singles use but a lot of owners here have said that it isn't really much of a drag/problem and the DR "bungee" system isn't causing perceived problems either...most have told me that air useage is largely controlled by the diver and if I'm not using a scooter the minimal additional drag won't be a big issue.

Anyway, I too have wondered if the "empty" bottom area of the horseshoe wing had any benefits over doughnut styles and would like to hear more if there is more...it seems like having the bouyancy of the top area and the lack of it on the bottom might actually make it easier to get/stay vertical or to purposely go face down for snorkeling back to shore/boat?

Finally I've perused tech dive sites for specific use anecdotes concerning the Rec wing's use and satisfaction among wreck divers. I understand that they are a popular rig on the East Coast but haven't found anything specific. Anyone have a link to something?

Thanks Tobin and Patrick for your input here!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom