DSS wing - not a donut - discuss

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Patrick:
I’ve seen the equipment and mfg process enough to allow me to do what I need to do. Based on the number of successful products I have come up with, it is obviously not e problem for me even though you seem to wish it to be. We just do things differently to meet our end goals. I don’t have a problem with the way you come to an end.

I have "no problem" with your approach either. There are many successful firms in a variety of industries that do it more or less the way you do, I've already said that there is more than one workable business model.

I do know however, from long personal experience designing all manner of goods, that hands on experience with the required technology has been a huge help.

Patrick:
Same reason why I involve others that are not related with my manufacturer. Not the first time I mentioned this. It is not all manufacturing either, it is having the experience at diving various equipment in a variety of diving over an extended period.

Sort of like the race car driver working with the pit crew. Who is your driver?

We have our goods tested by a wide range of divers. I want feedback from beginners, experienced divers and experts. Experts are useful of course, an their opinion carries weight, but I have found that sometimes they are so skilled they can dive anything with apparent effortlessness. Sometimes listening to newer divers is enlightening.

Patrick:
Nothing. However, I did find your tone offensive in the exchange.

cool_hardware52:
You may not believe this but I really don't see Oxycheq, Halcyon, DiveRite, OMS, DeepOutdoors, Zeagle, etc. as my main competitors. I see the Xbox360, Golf, Backpacking, and the high cost of fuel as my competition.

Above is the only thing I wrote on the subject of competition, that you later described as "crap" and insulting to the readers. I don't wish to offend, can you tell me what specifically was offensive?

Patrick:
I saw this something other than a debate and I have been consistent.

If this is not a debate, what is it?

Patrick:
Well, I simply did not realize you wanted to buy a wing? What is your typical gear configuration? Have you started diving doubles yet or still singles? Are you diving a rebreather or OC? Will you be penetrating wrecks, cave neither? What type of cylinder? Wet or dry? How much lead do you need?

This thread has less than 200 posts, and more than 3000 views. If it's not potential customers reading it who then is the audience for our collective wisdom?

Patrick:
I told you I came up the shapes and then the zipper was installed. If I was adding a window, a sliding glass door or an elevator to the design, I would agree with you. The fact is that it would limit YOUR designs, not mine. The final product is exactly what I wanted.

Here again we agree. If your original design included allowances for a zipper in a straight wall section, then including one might not impact that given design, but that's not to say inclusion, and placement of zippers have no impact on all designs.
My designs would be impacted. That's exactly why I choose not to use a 360 zipper. This has been my position from the beginning; 360 zippers do impose constraints.

Patrick:
Well, just like I would not use Velcro because of the issue with sand and wear. We can agree to disagree.

Velcro can be a problem if it is opened and closed frequently. How often does one need to access the bladder in a wing?

Tobin

You've made a good point about the number of views to this thread. For the sake of the readers who havn't yet commented and those who may be unclear about the design constraints issue allow me to clear things up.

I had considered drawing an image to illustrate the differences but Tobin has already done so. You can clearly see the wedge shaped space between the tank and the plate.

drawing1.jpg

A zipper requires a flat section because, as we have previously discussed, a zipper can't curve to the left or right. Imagine trying to fit a flat square into a wedge. The only way to do this would be to turn the square sideways. Now the zipper is on an angle relative to the plate. The problem occurs when the zipper has to go around the corner at the top and bottom of the wing. There is another shape that does this that we can all regonize - the banked curve on a race track. Since a zipper can't curve left or right, this turn is impossible to have. The only way to fit the zipper into this space is by having it perpendicular to the plate the way Patrick's wing in designed. As a result, the amount of space you can can occupy in the wedge is determined by how wide the zipper section is. Conside the shape of a captial "A". The inverted "V" section in the plate and tank, the "-" section the the flat portion of the wing. The shorter the "-", the closer it can get to the top of the A and thus it can occupy more space.

Oxycheq
WS45-D1_248x275.jpg

Tobin's design seeks to utilize the wedge-shaped extra space between the tank and plate. By including a zipper on the Tobin's LCD wing it would be forced to have a shape similar to Patrick's wing. Thus, for Tobin's design, the zipper imposes a constraint on the design of the wing.

DeepSeaSupply
3wingssm.jpg

Tobin and Patrick: If you don't want me linking directly to images on your websites I can remove them.

SeanQ:
Tobin and Patrick: If you don't want me linking directly to images on your websites I can remove them.

Sean,

I have no problem with you linking to my webpage. The link to my site apparently is not working however.

Tobin

Seems to be working now, Firefox being goofy maybe?

cool_hardware52:
Sean,

I have no problem with you linking to my webpage. The link to my site apparently is not working however.

Tobin

That was bad word choice on my part. They're not links; they're embedded images using the forum IMG code.

What I'd like is a donut shaped wing that tastes like a freaking glazed Krispy Kreme. One of the best things about attending DEMA (aside from meeting some great people like Tobin) was the proximity of a Krispy Kreme shop to my hotel room.

SeanQ:
That was bad word choice on my part. They're not links; they're embedded images using the forum IMG code.

Something is not right. Some images are "x"d out.

What I want is a donut that looks like a donut, complete with sprinkles. Maybe a horseshoe that looks like a horseshoe, nail holes and all. Of course everything would need to be done in the appropriate color, faux finish, ...

cool_hardware52:
If you do no R&D, and no production, what's left other than Marketing and perhaps fulfillment?
I was under the impression, as Patrik has since pointed out, that he is involved in R&D, just not in the same fashion that you are.

cool_hardware52:
Is it wise to make blanket statements regarding things you don't understand?

Huh?

I have considerable experience in manufacturing, ranging from a small shop with 20 or so people to a corporation with more than 10,000 employees. I currently engineer low level software tools to aid personel performing server workload analysis to provide feedback back to engineers that design our integrated circuits (the product). In a different part of the company, not located in the engineering/R&D building, our integrated circuits are manufactured. I only need to have a very basic understanding of the manufacturing process, and that is only so that I can understand how our business is getting along, and that is not to the detriment of the end product. We all play our role.

Larger business are different from smaller businesses, and they both have their pros and cons. Employees in smaller businesses are often expected to perform a much broader variety of tasks, whereas in larger businesses employee job duties are typically more constrained. I wouldn't be suprised if you sometimes push a mop, but that would seem a bit more suprising in Patrik's case, but it still doesn't bear on the discussion. I don't dispute that being involved in all aspects of manufacturing does have its benefits, it just seems you are making more of it than is warranted (from the perspective of a customer using the information in this thread to make a purchasing decision).

If instead you were refering to my assertion that you often fatten up what others are saying, it is my contention that you often interpret statements in a very broad sense, and then refute that. Although that may be technically "correct", in that the original statement should have been made in a more constrained format, it isn't very informative, as that is not the message that the statements were meant to convey. Forum discussions are not debates in the technical sense, although good ones involve logical methods.

I think this has something to do with frothing of the mouth, something I also have considerable experience with.

cool_hardware52:
Was I failing to do that prior to post # 76?

It is my contention that prior to Patrik showing up you were over constraining the scenarios in which the benefits of a donut are realized in an effort to downplay their pros. I don't have a problem that the benefits provided by your wings may offset the benefits provided by an oval design, but I do have a problem discounting the benefits of a donut to argue that fact. I read through some of your other posts in other threads, and it is my perception that you were a little more constrained in other threads regarding your preference not to manufacture ovals. In this thread you went further to discount the benefits of ovals, hence my motivation to originally enter this discussion to provide a counterpoint.

cool_hardware52:
I know I can't be all thing to all people. I want to focus on making the best goods I can with the resources, materials and technology available to me. There are many products and ideas that time won't permit me to tackle. Proctor and Gamble may want to market 20+ types of toothpaste, and find success doing so, but is the customer really better served?

Not necessarily, but quite possibly, depends on whether or not the customer wants tangerine flavored whitening toothpaste.

I suspect you are very committed to your product, and I bet it shows in the quality, otherwise you would not have the strong supporters that you do. However, I know that I would not have entered this thread if you would have kept it to the advantages of your design. It is not my intent to infer that you can't downplay the advantages provided by ovals in your postings, just that I or others may choose to contradict that. Furthermore, if you wouldn't have gone to the extremes you did to avoid the point I was trying to make, my postings would have been less abrasive.

I don't know Patrik, but obviously, to me, his company produces quality products, and consequently must be doing something right. Are you trying to argue that because you operate in a more monolithic environment that your products are superior? Are you trying to make the point that Patrik's abilities are inferior to yours because he doesn't know how to sew? I suspect Patrik is also more knowledgeable in other aspects of bladder design than you, is that relevant? I think relevant details for this thread address the donut/dss wing issue.

Regards

On this day when I've been snowbound I have been glad for this thread.

I don't mind these guys defending theselves and their products.

But there was some sarcasm along the way that didn't suit me.

All in all, in my opinion, Tobin has carried the day. Most logical, and he stayed his course, plus he put in more effort and paid greater attention to the details of the argument.

But the value of it all (short of shutting down veggie, which was big), seemed to diminish the farther we went along. I guess these guys were arguing credibility, which I can't blame them for. But in my opinion, the most important credibility comes from those who buy the products, not the vendors themselves.

cecilb63:
But there was some sarcasm along the way that didn't suit me.

Such as?

cecilb63:
But in my opinion, the most important credibility comes from those who buy the products, not the vendors themselves.

Agree completely.

Safe diving,

Patrick
OxyCheq
3812 Crossroads Parkway
Fort Pierce FL 34945
Ph: 772.466.4612
http://oxycheq.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom