DSS Knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cib

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi guys,I've just received my first DSS BP/W rig and was wondering if any of you carry or use the knife that they supply in the kit?Although it feels quite secure in the supplied pouch, I can't help but feel like it could be lost easily on a dive.Thanks.:confused:

I have two DSS backplates with their knife. Both are going on 8 years old. Knife is still secure. Mount it with the handle up or like I do. Horizontal on the waist belt left of the buckle. The sheath is held on by three pieces of bicycle inner tube. One comes in contact with the handle and adds resistance but does not prevent it being drawn. The tail of the waist belt coming out of the buckle also partially covers the handle of the knife. Adds even more to not losing it accidentally.

Thanks guys.

I like the idea of securing it horizontally - thanks for the idea Jim.

My DSS knife indeed fell out of its sheath during one of my first few dives with the rig. But my wife's knife remains secure in the exact same rig after dozens of dives. I replaced my knife with a similar one that I fashioned myself out of an ordinary steak knife. The advantage of a cheap knife such as the one that DSS provides is that replacing it is no big deal if you lose it.

Reactions: cib
I replaced mine with the Trilobite line cutter. The problem I had with it is I felt the handle was too slippery to handle with gloves and I could lose it. The Trilobite is secured with Velcro. For knife I keep a small Wenoka squeeze lock blunt end knife on the inflator hose upside down.

Friction is a powerful thing.

The only downside of that type is that you can stretch out your holster to a point that smaller knifes or Shears won't secure properly.

As such I made a couple sheaths with spare webbing and neoprene cement and dedicated each one to either shears or knives.

For $25 I got a 25pack of steak knives and I've only made 5 out of that pack. Still using those 5 because I haven't lost them yet.
I've used them plenty of times too for working dives.
So if you're worried about losing your knife, don't worry. They're cheap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom