DSS backplate and Oxycheq wing - do they fit together?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oszillodrom

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I own an Oxycheq Mach V 30# wing, and I am thinking of ordering a DSS long pattern backplate, either steel or kydex, maybe even both. As I live in Austria, I would like to make sure they actually fit together before I order it - does anybody have any experience? I would not like to use a STA, if possible. I contacted Tobin from DSS, but he said he could not give any definite answers for third party wings.

Let me see what I can do for you. I have both (and a long pattern plate too), but they are in the garage in storage as it is 21F right now. I use that wing on my vintage plate, so I'm not sure right now if they line up. I'll try an post in the next 24 hours.

UPDATE: Yes, it fits - no problems...

Last edited:
I'm curious about this, too. I have a DSS BP and wing. I'd like to get a smaller wing, at some point, so knowing of wings that will work besides just the DSS wings would be nice, in case I see a good deal on something.

The DSS wing has 2 rectangular holes in the middle that you can slip the cam bands through, so you can mount/demount the wing on the BP very easily. I.e. in seconds. Looking at a picture of the Oxycheq wing, it does not appear to have holes like the DSS wings. So, does it have slots that the cam bands thread through?

---------- Post added January 2nd, 2015 at 10:01 AM ----------

Thanks, cb. You posted while I was looking at pictures and typing. :)

I use an Oxychec 30# wing and a large DSS SS plate with a Dive Rite Deluxe Harness. Everything fits together fine.

phew... saved me a trip out in the cold....

IIRC - the Mach-V has fairly long slots....

The Oxycheq wing has slots, the issue comes with the different brands having different spacing for the cam band slots. Worst case an STA is required, I prefer them, obviously OP doesn't, but they are conveniently very cheap now, $25 from Dive Gear Express.

And can you use any brand of STA with any brand of BP? Or do you need to make sure the STA is specifically compatible with whatever BP (and wing?) you want to use it with?

Sta's are pretty common, having bolts at 11" they'll fit any plate with 11" bolt holes (99.9%).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

STA's can be used on any modern backplate, they follow the 11" bolt standard set by dive rite back in the 80's. Cam band spacing is then irrelevant and some STA's are longer than others.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom