DSMB norms in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is there anyone in this thread who wants to deploy a SMB towards the ends of a dive? If so, have you asked your dive op if there is a problem or if they may restrict it to a certain time (eg, approaching the safety stop).

I know that I have on a few dives years ago but it was approaching the safety stop. I only did it for practice. My opinion is that if you have one that can be deployed while underwater, and you consider that something that you may want to do for whatever reason, that you should practice it enough to be reasonably proficient at it.

I do not expect to need to deploy one from 100 feet because I get a leg caught in a coral reef landslide and barracuda are circling me like buzzards. 15-30 feet down is good enough for me. If the surface is calm, I could wait until I surface.
I don't know about really wanting to, but I've done it plenty of times. If I have to come up before the DM has already deployed their own for someone else (usually due to being cold) I will shoot my own rather than the DM towing one around unnecessarily. There have been a few times that the currents have been much faster near the surface and I've gotten separated from the DM's SMB on/before my safety stop and shot my own so the captain knew where I actually was. When I've shot it from depth (we've generally been relatively shallow by the time I want to come up) it's never been discussed in advance, but it's not difficult to convey to the DM that I'll use my own SMB..."I'm going up" and pointing to the SMB in my hand as I unfurl it has always conveyed that message just fine for me.

FT:
Well, that was quite the discussion starter. Thanks to all for chiming in.

Of course we will bring our one SMB and reel, in case Mother Nature really decides to put the "drift" in drift diving. Sitting on the fence about buying a second one for the other half of the buddy pair; maybe a cheaper model just to use at the surface. Deploying it at depth is still not second nature and we wouldn't mind getting some practice in, but didn't want to be a PITA if this is Really Not Done.

I would highly recommend getting two. They're really not that expensive, and would you really want to get separated from your wife and have her without a signalling device just to save $30?? If you want to practice, just ask the dive op/DM if it's okay. I can't imagine any who would say no and if they do, I personally would find a new op. All the dive ops/instructors/DM's that I know very much WANT divers to be safe and self reliant and would be thrilled that you're taking responsibility for that and not think for a second you're being a PITA.

What is a SMB?

Surface Marker, a big tube of brightly colored material that is deployed once you're at the surface as a way to signal boats, as opposed to a DSMB, which is deployed before you surface.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Really? This is so typical!! Someone posts a subject to discuss.... then board members start commenting, sharing info, experiences, snark/sarcasm, funny comments, arguing etc... Chief will be funny or knowledgable (or both); Mossman will be sarcastic &/or pithy... usually invoking alcohol; DandyDon will comment of course; on island dive ops (Christi, Dave D) will comment with authority; I'm waiting to for Gordon and Mike's take on the subject... Props to Skittles for standing her ground, pointing out what she actually said, not what you think she said, etc... It's a conversation...This is why I love SB !

Just wait....Pretty soon it will evolve to the best place to eat....
:blinking:

This is why I hate this forum and rarely read any of the threads but I do come on and indulge myself on occasion. The problem here is you have way to many people who either have only dove with one dive op or DM or worse yet someone who has limited dive experience and one dive trip commenting on things they know nothing about because they just don't have the experience or knowledge. How would someone with one trip know what the norm is? Beats me. I most certainly did not so I didn't comment on things I wasn't qualified to answer. Just my opinion and my opinion only.

I don't believe anyone said it wasnt a good idea to know and be equipped. I certainly didn't. I believe what I said there is nothing wrong with a DM requesting you stick with their program and use the DM's provided SMB, unless you have made other arrangements or another valid reason exists.

You said it was an unsafe boat you would run from if they suggested you surface under the DM SMB. :)

A. This thread is not all about you or your favorite dive op Chief - sorry to burst your bubble. I didn't name any specific dive op, my statements are general in nature and in fact state somewhere "regardless of who the dive op is"

B. REALLY, I said it was an unsafe boat if they suggest I surface under the DM's SMB?? Really? Again, you have some very selective reading going on. In fact what I said was "If I was ever on a boat anywhere and they implied that I could not or actually told me "don't deploy or use your own surface marker because the captain won't be watching for it" I would run not walk away from that boat!

Again Chief - it's not all about you or any one person or operation. There is a much bigger world out there than just one op or one dive destination - and each diver is responsible for his/her own safety - period. This is one of the first things we teach in OW!

And, if you read post #51 - I answer the OP specifically which addresses ALL of this in short form :)

Christi:
In response to your question.

It is standard procedure for the DM on all dives to deploy an SMB when the first dive pair or group is ready to surface.

HOWEVER - if you have your own and need to use it for whatever reason - proper communication with the DM and Captain as I said in another post is prudent and expected.

I encourage ALL divers to have one that can be blown up on the surface - and I discourage those without experience from deploying an SMB from depth.

Him and everyone else.....

:sadangel:

---------- Post added February 19th, 2014 at 05:20 PM ----------

Snow getting to you too? :)

Yes it is Chief. Tired of looking out the window and seeing snow piles. But every once in awhile I come on and read all the dumb stuff that is posted on here and it warms my heart.

Last edited:
A. This thread is not all about you or your favorite dive op Chief - sorry to burst your bubble. I didn't name any specific dive op, my statements are general in nature and in fact state somewhere "regardless of who the dive op is"

B. REALLY, I said it was an unsafe boat if they suggest I surface under the DM's SMB?? Really? Again, you have some very selective reading going on. In fact what I said was "If I was ever on a boat anywhere and they implied that I could not or actually told me "don't deploy or use your own surface marker because the captain won't be watching for it" I would run not walk away from that boat!

Again Chief - it's not all about you or any one person or operation. There is a much bigger world out there than just one op or one dive destination - and each diver is responsible for his/her own safety - period. This is one of the first things we teach in OW!

And, if you read post #51 - I answer the OP specifically which addresses ALL of this in short form :)

[/COLOR]

Well I guess Skittles isn't the only one getting the condescending treatment.

I referred to the practice on my favorite op to surface under the DM's SMB rather than shooting your own without prior notice. And that a Captain would not be expecting a different SMB. I guess your boats just run willy nilly all over the dive sites checking to make sure any unknown SMB might be from your divers at busy dive sites?

You then said you would run from a boat that does that. Sorry but that was implication I read. You seemed to have turned what I said into something else. Or maybe you were just commenting not in relation to the existing discussion? Odd you would say that. I guess it could be since you are lecturing me about how everyone one should have and be able to use and SMB after I said the same and agreed with it. Even I knew that, having not traveled the world and dove everywhere and all. Amazingly, I was able to pick the information up. Maybe my favorite OP told me....

You may spin it now however you wish. Especially since I am now lacking in experience too.... With my bubble burst.....

---------- Post added February 20th, 2014 at 12:20 AM ----------

Really? This is so typical!! Someone posts a subject to discuss.... then board members start commenting, sharing info, experiences, snark/sarcasm, funny comments, arguing etc... Chief will be funny or knowledgable (or both); Mossman will be sarcastic &/or pithy... usually invoking alcohol; DandyDon will comment of course; on island dive ops (Christi, Dave D) will comment with authority; I'm waiting to for Gordon and Mike's take on the subject... Props to Skittles for standing her ground, pointing out what she actually said, not what you think she said, etc... It's a conversation...This is why I love SB !

Just wait....Pretty soon it will evolve to the best place to eat....
:blinking:

Wow, you scared me. I wondered were I was going to land in that list!!

Oh and best place to eat is El Moro next week on the 2/26 at 1900 hrs. Scubaboard dinner and Happy 79th for mi madre. There will be cake! From the Cake Boss lady of Cozumel. She is awesome. Slip over to the February thread and stick your name on the list so we have plenty of seats. Did I mention there will be cake?

Surface Marker, a big tube of brightly colored material that is deployed once you're at the surface as a way to signal boats, as opposed to a DSMB, which is deployed before you surface.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Thank you sir. I had looked it up on the urban dictionary and I was coming up with something very different

Back
Top Bottom