DSMB norms in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A big thank-you to Macado for that useful guidance on local conditions and getting on the same page with the boat captain and DM.

miwa2.jpg

If I referred to the above as an "SMB," wouldn't it raise eyebrows in the discussions here? "I'm bringing my SMB to Cozumel." I think most people associate "SMB" with a tubular thing that is carried rolled up and may be deployed either underwater or on the surface.

I'd agree, the SMB is for getting somebodies attention to come get you, that towable dive flag is to keep people away as they stumble upon you.

that towable dive flag is to keep people away as they stumble upon you.

Or to attract them to you as they are either using your dive flag as a race marker for their jet ski, or because they are wondering what it is, so they bring the boat over to check it out.

I hate dive flags. They are a huge pain to tow (and I've only ever gone to a lake with a 40 ft depth- can't imagine dealing with a line deeper than that, and keeping it untangled with lake stuff) and in lakes with lots of traffic, they seem to attract it, rather than keep it away.

Here's another thing, discuss whether or not you want to deploy your SMB with the boat crew/dive master BEFORE the dive. It can be part of your dive plan. I simply explain that if I get separated or other conditions, I am going to shoot an SMB. Mine has my name in huge letters written on both sides so they can identify me. Tell them what to expect so they are not surprised.

In the event you do get separated from the group waiting until you surface to deploy your DSMB/SMB (whatever you want to call it) is a poor choice. You want to give the boat captain a better chance of spotting you before you drift too far out of visual range. If you're lost and wait until the surface to deploy an SMB, currents may have already pushed you a significant distance making it harder for the boat to visually locate you.

Yes, this is almost exactly what I said in post #37, and again in post #51 and touched on it in a couple of posts in between.

Christi:
He will be if he is a conscientious captain and you have proper communication with him before the dive! The captains should be vigilant and watching for their divers throughout the dive - never know when someone will surface with an emergency. Another good reason not to mix divers and snorkelers (but that's another topic).
Christi:
Particularly for those who tend to surface before the rest of the group - show the captain your SMB - better yet, write your name or something to identify you with a big black sharpie on your SMB, show it to him pointing out the unique markings, and if you surface early let him know you'll be surfacing at xx minutes!
or in general - some took the xx minutes too literally

Christi:
In response to your question.

It is standard procedure for the DM on all dives to deploy an SMB when the first dive pair or group is ready to surface.

HOWEVER - if you have your own and need to use it for whatever reason - proper communication with the DM and Captain as I said in another post is prudent and expected.

I encourage ALL divers to have one that can be blown up on the surface - and I discourage those without experience from deploying an SMB from depth.

My wife and I both carry an SMB on all dives....Cozumel included. We hadn't deployed them from depth (for a safety stop) in some time, so the last time we were in in Cozumel I told the DM that I would like to practice the skill. She was fine with that and, of course, we coordinated this with the boat captain before doing so. I was a bit clumsy on my first several attempts but got the hang of it with a week's practice. Seems to me that everyone should practice this skill and that it should be a required Advanced Cert skill. Just my opinion. BTW, we had a private DM, making it safe for her to focus on me while I practiced. One of the key reasons that I sometimes want a private DM is specifically to practice skills like this.

Seems to me that everyone should practice this skill and that it should be a required Advanced Cert skill. Just my opinion. BTW, we had a private DM, making it safe for her to focus on me while I practiced. One of the key reasons that I sometimes want a private DM is specifically to practice skills like this.
I think it should be a required skill for DMs in Cozumel.

If I were to hire a private DM, I'd make her deploy the SMB. That's what you're paying for, right?

Which brands do the DM's use? Halcyon? Do you prefer the ones that are open bottom or low pressure inflators?

Last edited:
Which brands do the DM's use? Halcyon? Do you prefer the ones that are open bottom or low pressure inflators?

I imagine the working guys, most of them choose a cheap mouth inflate job.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom