DSMB norms in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you don't have the skills to deploy it you don't have the experience to comment on it. You might just get someone killed with your advice. What are your thoughts on rebreathers?
I have the skills to deploy it and the experience to comment on it. Never used one in Cozumel and doubt I ever will. Rebreathers are high maintenance and I hate maintenance when I'm on vacation.

It's part of my standard gear......Usually only DM shoots one though......

It's part of my standard gear......Usually only DM shoots one though......

Ditto.... we both have them, but we rarely use them.

Of course, we have occasionally used them in Cozumel when we got separated from the DM (gear issues and going up early). The DMs at SCC are very good about letting people go up early if they need to and will give them one to use if they dont' have one. We saw this a few years ago when we had a couple who were air hogs. The DM would hand them his SMB, then they would go up with it. The rest of us stayed down until we were all ready then one of us would deploy for the group. (the rest of people on our boat all had them) No problemo.

Also, last trip we had ripping current one dive. As soon as the group started to ascend for safety stop we all got separated. We were all in buddy pairs but in 3-4 groups and so each group had 1 SMB up. Worked fine.

robin

I think for OW divers, it is not a critical skill. If you get separated from the group and start your ascent upon realizing it, when you get to the surface and deploy your SMB, you are not likely to be very far from the group and the boat will be able to see your SMB. After all, during your ascent you are still drifting in the same direction as the group.

On deeper dives where ascents can take more than 5 minutes or so, there is a greater chance of separation during the ascent, and it is important to get an SMB up on the surface while the boat can still see it.

If you aren't comfortable shooting a DSMB, then you shouldn't do it but you should seek out instruction (instructor or mentor) on how to do it and practice it until you are comfortable doing it. It is a good skill to have...just not critical for most dives.

Quote "deploying your own, the captain wouldn't be looking for it". Are you kidding? All captains are looking for them that's why they are a good idea. As for my request for a rebreather comment I figured since we were on a roll of commenting on a topic that you admit not having experience with we could all enjoy a few more gems on some other areas of inexperience. If you don't want to use one fine, I'm happy to know you will never be separated from Allison, or in high seas or any of a half dozen reasons that they are handy. Looks good hanging off the harness though. Just like the big kids.

I carried an SMB for surface use in an emergency (never touched it) but do not have the skills to use a DSMB yet.

However, the op I dove with individual divers did NOT deploy their own DSMB. Deploying your own, the captain wouldn't be looking for it. He looked for the DM's. For each diver (or buddy pair if they went up together) who was ready to go up, the DM deployed hers, stayed with the diver on their safety stop, watched that the boat picked them up, rolled the DSMB back up and continued on with the dive with the rest of the group who still had air.

If you don't have the skills to deploy it you don't have the experience to comment on it. You might just get someone killed with your advice. What are your thoughts on rebreathers?

I have one, have used it and dive with the same op she references. That is the was she does it and it is quite effective. We had another diver with us who dove with a 'shoot your own SMB' op. This diver without prior arrangement shot a SMB at the end of their tank. The captain did not expect the 'different' SMB. He did not go to get the diver right away as it was assumed the diver from another op as there were a number on that site. When he realized it was his diver a relatively short time later, he was a little pissed as a does NOT leave his divers float for any period of time.

Oh and my SMB has a line on it, so I guess its a DSMB, however everyone one around the Coz board seems always to use SMB for line or no line. The missus has an SMB without a line. Encourages her to stick with me.

So back off the Skittles, please. She commented on how her op er... operates of which she has experience.

Oh and on rebreathers, don't know a think except there is a group of Poles who charter the Max every year and all dive rebreathers. And I read NetDoc's experience with one....

Quote "deploying your own, the captain wouldn't be looking for it". Are you kidding? All captains are looking for them that's why they are a good idea.

Well, they might not run you over, but the captain won't know to come pick you up. On the DM's line, you won't get run over AND you'll get picked up.

If you don't want to use one fine, I'm happy to know you will never be separated from Allison, or in high seas or any of a half dozen reasons that they are handy. Looks good hanging off the harness though. Just like the big kids.
I have an SMB in case this does happen. If I do get separated, I am able to make myself visible on the surface.

I figured since we were on a roll of commenting on a topic that you admit not having experience with we could all enjoy a few more gems on some other areas of inexperience.
I do have experience with the topic; I'm sorry my experience doesn't match your expectation that all divers should carry a DSMB and deploy it every dive, but it was still my experience in Cozumel. If the question was "How do you shoot a DSMB"- well that topic I don't have experience with.

Quote "deploying your own, the captain wouldn't be looking for it". Are you kidding? All captains are looking for them that's why they are a good idea. As for my request for a rebreather comment I figured since we were on a roll of commenting on a topic that you admit not having experience with we could all enjoy a few more gems on some other areas of inexperience. If you don't want to use one fine, I'm happy to know you will never be separated from Allison, or in high seas or any of a half dozen reasons that they are handy. Looks good hanging off the harness though. Just like the big kids.

Ah, dude, on a Coz dive boat at a popular site, there are SMB sticking up all over the place. If every captain went to every SMB it would make a heck of a mess.

Of course everyone should have one. Perhaps without line if you don't know how to deploy it. First time I deployed it, it was a thrill. I thought for sure I was going to be the posted along the road in Kansas near Skittles as the world's largest ball of string.

If you insist on using one on every dive, make sure you clear it with the Captain and DM.

Oh and I used to dive with the special DAN sausage. That thing was pretty cool. I looked like a 'real' diver with that big SOB. It had the whistle and the glow stick. However, it became like dragging an oil barrel around, so I stuck it in the closet and bought the smaller one used by 98% of the DMs I have seen in Coz.

On the other hand, I have dove with the Great Fulvio in Coz. In addition to his spare air and pony he carried two, yes TWO massive SMBs. I think they must connect together at the surface to from a Zodiac boat. I mean they were HUGE.....

Well, they might not run you over, but the captain won't know to come pick you up.

Not being a captain, I can't speak for captains, but I'll offer an unsolicited opinion anyway.

I think a captain would likely be watching bubbles and see the separation, and subsequently know that the SMB is from their (separated) group. If they didn't notice the separation, they would be surprised by the SMB, and would likely keep an eye on it. Then when the rest of the group ascended, with a few people missing, they would chase down that SMB.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom