DSLR lens - Ports - Diopters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The main different between the 18-70 at 60mm and a prime 60mm macro lens is that the 60mm macro lens will focus on a subject as close as 8 inches away from the camera whereas the 18-70 can focus down to about 15 inches so you can get a lot closer to the subject with 60mm lens than with 18-70.
That's why many big zoom lens like the 70-300mm are not used in underwater photography because it can focus down to only 5 ft away from the camera.
For macro photography, you want to get as close to the subject as you can rather than use a big powerful zoom and stay far away from the subject.
Not to mention that the 60mm lens is probably one of the sharpest lens out there with much better autofocus ability etc.

Now I am a rookie at this so I am sure others can give a better explination. Here is the WA lens I use: Nikon Zoom Super Wide Angle AF 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 G-AFS ED-IF DX Autofocus Lens. So the main point is it is Wide Angle. The lens I use for Macro is: Nikon Telephoto AF Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Macro Autofocus Lens. Here the main issue is being able to get up close with just about a 1:1 ratio. Anyone please correct me if I am off on this.

Thanks ssra30 much better description.

Ok, as I see it...

* 18-70mm = Wide Angle (WA), NON-Macro, min focus apx 15+ inches, preferred for general use

* 60mm Macro = for macro use only,
- min focus: apx 8 inches
- max focus?: 3feet? guessing?

So while you can use the WA for a close up and have it work well, you can't get any closer than apx 15"+ and the 60mm Macro is better.

So for general "Photo Taking" dives where you could have a mix, landscape, fish, eels etc. the 18-70mm would be the best General Purpose choice.

For a strictly close up dive for Macro closeups the 60mm would be best.. and it's sharper etc.. and mo'better... ;-))

Great, heheheh... finally sinking in... thanx

fpoole-

Thanks for asking the questions... many of us lurking who are trying to figure out U/W photo appreciate it. once I've scoured enough sites that I can ask some intelligent dSLR questions, i'll jump in as well. :wink:

Jim

fpoole:
Ok, as I see it...

* 60mm Macro = for macro use only,
- min focus: apx 8 inches
- max focus?: 3feet? guessing?

For a strictly close up dive for Macro closeups the 60mm would be best.. and it's sharper etc.. and mo'better... ;-))

A 60mm macro will focus from 8" to infinity, so as well as being great for little creatures, it can also be used for larger things such as small/medium sized fish etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom