DS4 DIN/XTX50 vs. MK17/G250V

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But as you stated Piston regs are supposed to be higer performance but I didn't notice it.

The limiting factor of any reg's flow rate is the second stage, (tank valve notwithstanding).

Scubapro makes a big brouhaha about the Mk25 flowing 300scfm and the Mk17 managing "only" 225scfm.

Well, the flow rate on the G250V is only around 55-60scfm, so that means that with a single-tank configuration of two G250Vs at max freeflow, along with a wing inflator and drysuit inflator going full-honk, (schrader valves flow around 7-10scfm max), you're still only looking at 140scfm at most. Well within the range of a Mk17.

IMHO, the whole "Mk25 is best" thing from Scubapro is because they are a piston company at heart, and it would kill them to admit the Mk17 is the better reg, since it has nearly the same flow rate as the Mk25, but is more resilient to cold water freeze-ups and funky contaminants, being environmentally sealed.

Dealers also promulgate the "Mk25 is better" because it's more expensive and that means higher margins for the dealer.

Both regs flow MORE than enough for real-world use, and the whole "300scfm flow rate" thing is like Ferrari building a car that can do 200+mph; You'll never really need it in the real world, but it sells ad-copy and makes for good bench-racing and bragging rights.

If I had to buy Scubapro, make mine the Mk17. Diaphragms all the way.

Personally I find the hose routing better on the Mk25 though. That is a personal choice.

Personally I find the hose routing better on the Mk25 though. That is a personal choice.

True. And Scubapro had the solution with the Mk19, which was a Mk17 with a Mk25-style turret.

Unfortunately, only offered in Germany and other Northern Europe locations for "extreme cold water" diving. Never offered here in the US or Canada.

Rumor is it was never offered here because Scubapro set up the Mk25 to be their flagship regulator (being a piston and all), and they knew that if they offered a diaphragm reg (Mk19) right next to it that did everything the Mk25 did and more, (the only thing the Mk25 has over the 17 is hose routing, but that is preference, as you said), and likely at a cheaper price point, well, my opinion, and their fear was that the Mk25 would quickly get dethroned as Scubapro's flagship.

Well now the Mk19 is out of production, but I would KILL for a set here for use as backgas regs. Problem is, I work in a shop and can get a SICK discount on new Scubapros, so I'm not willing to pay a premium for a used reg with better hose routing, when I can get brand-new ones cheaper.

When thinking of the Mk17 compared to the Mk25, I'm reminded of that song from Annie Get Your Gun: "Everything you can do, I can do better"...

Thanks everyone for the input :D its really appreciated.

Another question, is the size of the G250V that noticeable? It seems much bigger compared to the apeks....

Thanks everyone for the input :D its really appreciated.

Another question, is the size of the G250V that noticeable? It seems much bigger compared to the apeks....

I don't find it big at all. I first did when I tried it, (after coming from Poseidon Xtremes, everything else seems HUGE), but after about 10 seconds in the water, I couldn't tell.

me personally I was told it was bigger and saw a little differnce side by side with the S600. But using it in the water when I was demoing reg's about 10 different ones didn't notice any difference. I dive my Atomic M1's and switch occasionally and still don't notice any differrnce. My G/F however says she could tell that the S600 is smaller than the G250V but it didn't interfer or cause any issue's. She still has the G250V as Primary and S600 as back-up.

Again sorry for not direct comparision but never dove Apek's Reg's and only seen one or two in a shop

Both are very good and will serve you well. What I can tell you is that the Apeks regs are twice as costly to service that the SP. The Apeks though only need to be serviced every second year so it balance out nicely.

Flip a coin.

Not really, at least in the area he lives. The cost is the same and they are serviced every year. They do not completely overhaul them though every year, but every second year.

Hi,

Im looking to purchase a new set of regs this summer through my LDS. I think i have come down to choosing between the two mentioned in the title, and was looking for a comparison/advice/experiences anyone has had with them.

At the moment, i am solely doing recreational diving in the summer, along the st lawrence (60s-72F) although i plan to move to cold water/ice diving in the next few years.

I have thought of a few pros/cons myself but would like to hear what you all have to say.

Thanks in advance

I sometimes dive my wife's Tek 3 which is DS/4 XTX 50. My best dive buddy dives G250V /MK17 I tried his regs. no difference IMHO. Both are great regs and I think it's more of a personal preference. He just happen to have all SP regs, we happened to have half apekses half zeagles - which are also breathing as good

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom