DS4 DIN/XTX50 vs. MK17/G250V

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MSchoular

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

Im looking to purchase a new set of regs this summer through my LDS. I think i have come down to choosing between the two mentioned in the title, and was looking for a comparison/advice/experiences anyone has had with them.

At the moment, i am solely doing recreational diving in the summer, along the st lawrence (60s-72F) although i plan to move to cold water/ice diving in the next few years.

I have thought of a few pros/cons myself but would like to hear what you all have to say.

Thanks in advance

Both are very good and will serve you well. What I can tell you is that the Apeks regs are twice as costly to service that the SP. The Apeks though only need to be serviced every second year so it balance out nicely.

Flip a coin.

Both are identical performance wise.....pick either.
You probably already know this but the HOG is a very good copy of the Apeks and should also be considered.

Why would an Apeks be costly to service? The parts kit is free (at least for the original owner when bought at an authorized dealer. Of course I am in Canada, perhaps other places have different rules). I do have it checked every year since I believe that's what they want for the warranty, although I don't think it actually needs a complete overhaul more than every two years. Doesn't cost me much each time though. Certainly less than my wife's blizzard costs to service.

Halcyon use the GV250
My missus has a pair of GV250's on her twins and work VERY well.

Never used Apek's reg's but heard good things. I do how ever have to set's of MK17/G250V's and they work awesome. The are about equal to my Atomic M1's. I also own mk25/S600 and my personal opinon is the the MK17/G250V is a better breather smother-easier delivery. The only differnce I notice between the G250V and M1 is the M1 seems to give a little more air.

Again this is underwater switching back and fourth reg's to see lol so could have also just been me. Either way looks like your getting a solid reg that can be used any where. The G250 has a long history of being a workhorse reliable reg.

Good Luck with either choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a22shady
I also own mk25/S600 and my personal opinon is the the MK17/G250V is a better breather smother-easier delivery.

That's interesting because Scubapro is known for its piston regs, so I would have expected the opposite.

Adam

Again Just my opinon on how it felt to me. I actually own 2 sets of MK25's,MK17. S600s,G250Vs. So I was curious as to which set-up would be the best, So tested them each way MK25w S600/G250V, MK17S600/G250V. Again just what I felt was that both regs seemed better to me on the MK17, and the G250V felt better. MY G/F diving the 2nd set-up had the same feelings. She now Dives the MK17/G250V and S600 as her back-up which she likes due to its smaller size. Both are great regs and we still dive with them. But as you stated Piston regs are supposed to be higer performance but I didn't notice it.

I also have a Set of Atomic M1's and compared them in about same Manner, Now the Atomic's did feel slightly better thanG250V but I was literally sitting on a Platform for about 10-15min going back and fourth and slowly adjusting each one. The difference with the M1 was the amount of air it would deliever, It deliever more air with about the same breath, I also hooked the S600/G250V to the Atomic the S600 seemed to be about the same on either platform, The G250V didn't notice much of any differnce either. They are all very very close reg's. I am happy with them all. If I ranked them it would be M1, G250V, S600. As for 1st Stagesits a a tie with M1/MK17. Again could be but I prefer sealed reg's as I dive colder water.

Althoughthe missus has twin Mk25/GV250's I use twin Mk25's and an A700. You can really tell the difference between the A700 and the GV250.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom