DS Alterations by local tailor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coldsmoke

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a TLS 350 that's too big around for me. I know of Superior Drysuit Repair, but I am wondering if a local tailor could do a more accurate job - being that they can measure me themselves and if anything comes up I can come back in.

I think the seams are just sealed with aquaseal, but I don't know. If they are then the tailor could do the alterations and I could do the aquaseal part myself. I am reasonably handy. I do my own seals and have done one zipper so far.

What do you all think?

Hunter

I don't know about the tailor's accuracy, but with his advice, I think you could estimate how much you want removed by wearing the suit with maximum insulation and having him pinch the excess material and mark cut lines with chalk. Perhaps you could use spring clamps to pinch all the excess to really get a good feel for the right size. Keep in mind the range of movement you need. Hate to take too much off.... :D

My TLS350's trilam knee reinforcement needed about 10 inches of seam resewed and I used a shoemaker's sewing machine to do it. It's pretty light material and sews easily.

Yes, just Aquaseal the inside of the seam. Thinned with Cotol (toluene), I like to use two or three thin coats to keep the bead thin and flexible.

Good luck! Please post! :)

Dave C

Boy.....I dunno. I'd be more inclined to go with someone who has experience working on drysuits. Maybe pay the local tailor for his time to help you determine what needs to be done, as the previous poster suggested, but then send it off to a drysuit repair place to have the actual work done.

I have a TLS 350 that's too big around for me. I know of Superior Drysuit Repair, but I am wondering if a local tailor could do a more accurate job - being that they can measure me themselves and if anything comes up I can come back in.

What do you all think?

Hunter

Hunter, I just took a look at my TLS350 and looks like a major job to reduce girth on the torso.

I'd call Superior Drysuit Repair and ask about feasibility and an estimate.

A DIY alternative might be to install a couple of bungie adjustment cords across the inside of the back or sides by glueing nylon fabric "channels" similar to the existing "waist adjustment cord" arrangement.

How much excess do you have in the torso when wearing your maximum insulation? Does it create a problem of the air bubble shifting too rapidly? I think adjustment cords could greatly reduce that problem.

I gather you have some money and toil into this suit, but mightn't it be better to sell it and buy another fix-er-upper in a better size? :D

I know, it's the challenge of the thing, right? Happens to me all the time! :)

Dave C

I am sure that your tailor could alter your wet suit, with a bit of practice. Do you wnat to provide the first dry suit for min/her to practice with? my suggestion is to find some one who already knows how..

I gather you have some money and toil into this suit, but mightn't it be better to sell it and buy another fix-er-upper in a better size? :D

I know, it's the challenge of the thing, right? Happens to me all the time! :)

Dave C

I have been looking for a replacement suit for quite a while. The problem is that I am specific in what I want and I can't afford a new suit. There aren't many that come up used that fit what I am looking for.

Thanks for the replies.

Hunter

Back
Top Bottom