Drysuits - Worth the Money?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Greetings,

Once you get used to diving dry, you probably won't go back. I recommend getting a high quality custom fit suit (unless you're lucky and can fit into a reg. size) that will last you a long time. They are costly, $2000 retail isn't high anymore for a decent suit and underwear, but a good suit will last and will be less likely to fail (leak). I wouldn't go cheap on a dry suit unless you found a great deal on a great suit. There is someone on here that used to have some good deals on suits, but I'll leave that up to him.

Low 40's is getting pretty cold, dude. Being cold isn't good for you at all during a dive: poor circulation, chances of DCI increase, narcosis increases, air consumption increases, less fun etc.

Is it difficult to learn? To use it correctly (IMO :wink: ), it will probably take you 10-30 dives to get used to it.

Is it worth the extra investment and training to use argon instead of air to fill it? I wouldn't jump into argon right away, not because it's complex or anything, but it may not be necessary for you. I don't need argon for a 75min dive in Superior (38-50F through out the dive). Ice diving is cold enough for argon as are helium dives. There's no formal instruction needed for argon inflation, but of course, there is some additional equipment involved. You'll want to get a nice set of underwear and try to deal with the cold with underwear first.

I wouldn't go back to a wet suit in cold water -- no way!

Good luck.

Mike

PS. Some brands to look at are DUI, Viking, and Abyss (my preferred suit).

Just some added thoughts . . .

:eek: Wow! Low 40's?!?! That's pretty damn :cold: cold for a wesuit! I'm impressed that you can do that comfortably.

I used to dive wet back in the "I can't afford a drysuit" days of diving. However, I saved every penny I had and finally bought one. I used to borrow other people's "drysuits" but as the quotes tell you, it was their old one that didn't have the integrity. I love diving dry; I have real problem going back to the wetsuit.

There are a couple of schools of thought: take a spec course or find a drysuit buddy to help you through it. But, either way, try it in a pool first; there are some skills that you must master, such as a feet first ascent (what the hell do you do then?). Check out the book on drysuits, Dry Suit Diving, 3rd Edition -- Steven M. Barsky

Dive dry, be comfy before, during, and after your dive, especially in the winter during those surface intervals :D

In cold water, DRY diving is the way to go. Especially when you
are between dives.

I'd get the dry suit first and learn to use it comfortably.Then
consider Argon. You want to avoid a "too much too soon"
learning curve.

Hi Northeastwrecks!

I just started using a Viking X-treme I bought brand new for a price you WOULD NOT BELIEVE! At DEMA a couple of years ago. I have started doing open water dives with it and have completed a total of 6 thirty to forty minute dives. I've only dove in water that was 55 to 65 degrees so I don't have any experience with it in cold water. Here is what I have learned the hard way:

1. Do not use fins that are buoyant! (I have mastered and even started to enjoy diving while completely inverted!)

2. I use Duofold Expedition Weight long johns along with sweats/polarfleece to keep me warm. Won't buy the underwear unless I find my current choices fail to keep me warm. If you choose to dive dry without the proper underwear, make sure whatever you're wearing under the suit wicks water away from your skin and can insulate when wet in case of a leak. (I managed to get soaked with 56 degree water and was still quite comfortable, the water ended up in the outer layer of polarfleece).

3. Make sure whatever you wear on your feet under the suit keeps your feet in the boots! I added an extra layer of wool socks because when I ended up inverted (most of the dive!) I would "fall out" of my boots! It's really hard to use fins when your toes, and not your heels, are by the fin straps!

4. If your drysuit "burps" the air out through the neck seal try turning the neck seal under, just a little bit. If you turn it so low it doesn't nearly touch your lower jaw it will leak along the sides of your esophagus when you move your head, swallow, etc. (that's how I ended up wet one dive).

Do I like it? Most of my 112 dives are in 40 to 55 degree water with a 1/4 inch farmer john with jacket, hood and 3-finger gloves. Right now the only plus I see to dry suit diving is being dry (hopefully :) ) for your surface interval and having your feet stay warm the entire dive. Until my dry suit and I come to an agreement about who is in charge during the dive I'm going wet no matter how cold! I'm sure once I have a LOT more training dives under my belt I'll like the dry suit just fine but right now it's only coming out of the closet for dry suit training dives.

Anyway, that has been my experience ;-0 There are many dry suit divers here who can give you all kinds of tips on any dry suit you may purchase. If you can afford it, do it! Don't fret if you feel like a beginning diver when you first start training with it! If nothing else it's a good exercise in stress management and gear wrestling until you and the suit decide which of you is in control!

Good luck!

Ber :bunny:
(disclaimer--all information in this posting is a result of my own personal experience, individual results will vary, results not typical):jester:

You will NEVER go back!

It will increase your comfort level & dive season.... really the way to go in temperate climates.

Dry suit diving is not difficult to learn but it does require proper training from a QUALIFIED Instructor to use the suit safely & effectively. As I've said many times before, a drysuit is NOT just another passive piece of equipment you put on and go with.... people can (and do) get hurt if they have not received good drysuit instruction.

Just my $0.02's worth,

~SubMariner~

Yeah, if you're going to spend the bucks, you may as well get it right.

FYI, I use 200g thinsulate Bare underwear. In the summer (bottom temps 40F and surface temps 55F+), this is all I wear under my suit. For really cold water (constant 45F or less), I put on military weight poly long underwear and wool socks. I had a set of poorly fitting 400g stuff, but it was too hot for any kind exertion. I might get some more 400g someday for ice diving, but I'm getting by for 99% of my diving (deeper Great Lakes wrecks).

Congrats.

Mike

PS. Don't expect to be extremely proficient after your class. The class probably won't hurt, but practice is the key to dry suit diving. Expect a learning curve and occasional frustration. If you want to learn your dry suit more quickly, stay shallow for awhile because shallow water diving is trickier than deep water diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom