Drysuits - what’s with the radical price difference?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is a difference in made to measure suits vs. off the peg from China.

There is also a difference between cheap M2M (think SeaSkin), durable M2M (think Otter or Othree) and top of the market (SFTech).

Quality, components, placement of seams and obviously service.

Not sure what drysuits are made in China buddy.

Santi and avatar are in Poland.
4e is the UK as is sea skin and otter.
Sf tech is Switzerland
DUI is USA
Whites is Canada again.

I could keep going.
Where does the material come from?
They make it inhouse?

Where does the material come from?
They make it inhouse?
Assembling the suit and sewing the fabric is what actually matters for building a quality suit, but since you asked.

These are the vendors predominately used, the vast majority of the fabrics come from the speciality lines that are almost all Europe or US manufacture.

CompanyFabric TypePrimary Manufacturing Locations
GoreGore-TexUnited States, Germany
InvistaCorduraUnited States, China, Taiwan
FabritexButyl RubberUnited Kingdom, Europe
DuPontKevlarUnited States, Japan, Northern Ireland
TrelleborgTrilaminateSweden, United States, China
SchoellerTechnical FabricsSwitzerland, Europe, Asia
YamamotoLimestone NeopreneJapan

SF Tech publishes that they get their fabrics from Switzerland and Japan,

Assembling the suit and sewing the fabric is what actually matters for building a quality suit, but since you asked.

These are the vendors predominately used, the vast majority of the fabrics come from the speciality lines that are almost all Europe or US manufacture.

CompanyFabric TypePrimary Manufacturing Locations
GoreGore-TexUnited States, Germany
InvistaCorduraUnited States, China, Taiwan
FabritexButyl RubberUnited Kingdom, Europe
DuPontKevlarUnited States, Japan, Northern Ireland
TrelleborgTrilaminateSweden, United States, China
SchoellerTechnical FabricsSwitzerland, Europe, Asia
YamamotoLimestone NeopreneJapan

SF Tech publishes that they get their fabrics from Switzerland and Japan,
Cool, I thought Trilaminate is Butyl+something+something, i didn't know its a material by itself and made even in China.

Newbie diver here — without going into brand loyalties, what are the main functional differences between a $1.5k drysuit and a $3.5k+ drysuit?

(I am a bit “buy once, cry once”, but OMG…)
Good Day,
I too was a bit taken back by cost of dry suits, and curious about materials and cost. I received a lot of help from shop that repairs and modifys large numbers of dry suits.. I ended up buying a used suit that was originaly made from a well known DS producer and just replaced the Zipper, replaced boots and replaced gasket system to a si tech silicon (30$ opposed to 300$). I could not be happier, I paid about 400$ for a heavy butyl rubber suit that is lined inside and out with polyester .

Newbie diver here — without going into brand loyalties, what are the main functional differences between a $1.5k drysuit and a $3.5k+ drysuit?

Good comments from others so far.

There was a post that I'm afraid I can only vaguely recall, in which someone compared the construction of a Seaskin (inexpensive) with some other more expensive suit, probably a Santi or DUI. I didn't pay close attention, because I am not in the market for a new suit, but if I recall, some of the differences that were noted included the "cut"--seams and panels and their shapes. So, maybe the expensive suit was cut slightly more like a garment than a bag? (In the end, though, a drysuit is just that--a bag.) I hope someone can either point us to that post or comment from a firsthand comparison between an expensive suit and a cheaper suit.

Also, I will note that the price of, for example, a Santi in Europe is much less than the price they charge through their authorized US dealers. I picked up a suit over there for just a bit over half the price of what they were being sold for here. That said, karma came back to bite me when the suit deviated in a couple of respects from what I thought I had ordered, and the foreign dealer and their foreign distributor pointed fingers at each other and refused to take responsibility. I bought my next suit from the local dive shop, and when it needed the tiniest change, they were more than accommodating. Lesson learned.

the cost of labor where the suit was made is most of it. Whether they're sold factory direct or thru dealers also will give it a huge premium. Also shipping and import tariffs depending on the country of origin. Get a good quality cheap one

Simple. There are accumulated small know-hows.

My drysuit is cheap one. Sitec valve, latex neck and wrist, Kevlar kneepads, neoprene boots and $700 when I bought it. My team members have Santi, and Trion (Korean vendor). 6 times and 3 times expensive.

"Major" differences:
1. When doing valve drill, my suit disturb me (bad armfit design). Anyway, I can do it but not comfortable. Expensives are OK.
2. Expensives are less bulky, except DUI. Looking good before diving and smaller shoulder airpocket.
3. Expensives still remains. I cannot find my drysuit manufacturer any more. anyway, I can ask to fix it in Korea.
4. Some additional materials including dryglove system (I added Ultima) and good carrying bag. Expensives also have brand-matching inner suit(I have merino baselayer with thin fleece coverall, 1/3 price), too.
5. Expensives looking good. Mine is all black.
6. Expensives have many option for materials and size. Light, heavy, mixed, color selection, and even bespoke. Fortunatly Seaskin also supports this option. My suit is just "XXXL".

I changed metal zipper recently (5 year after purchase, around 150 divings). Maybe these are quality issue of cheap one.

Back
Top Bottom