Drysuits - neoprene or trilaminate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive a compressed neoprene drysuit. (High Tide brand.) All of the above observations are correct. It's heavy and slow to dry.

However, it has kept me dry and warm each dive and with minimal undergarments, even though those in shell drysuits (including the most popular brands) have complained of being cold &/or leaks.

There are no "bests" and YMMV.

Here are a few posts that might help.

One

Two

Three

Mine is neoprene and I use pushbike type gear and sweats underneath, for WICKING. I sort of like it and always figured that some comfort is sacrificed diving dry. Next seal change may be to latex or great contemplation about buying a lower end fabric one. Don't use them enough to justify bulk expenditure.
Thanks to all posters. Now I think, I know.

I have a crushed neoprene suit (4mm) and have been quite happy with it. The only downsides are that it is heavy (so, not looking forward to travelling with it and thinking of getting a trilam one for travel and summer). I do not find it takes a long time to dry (but obviously longer than trilam).

I am VERY rough on my suit (lot of shore diving) and it has gotten a few pinhole leaks over time but they are easy to repair.

I'm pretty sure my suit keeps me warmer too as I only wear tracksuit pants and a few of those stripy thermal tops underneath it that I've spent a grand total of $50 on (water gets down to 48F/9C) where as my trilam buddies have forked out hundreds for jumpsuits and things like that. Another friend in neoprene suit wears even less thermals than me. So I think cost of thermals is another thing to consider.

Thanks to you too.

Emerald Hill ski suit sale at Jeffs shed or wherever it is?

Dont forget guys, a drysuit is made to keep you dry... not warm ;-) So, the undergarment is the key to keep you warm.

Dont forget guys, a drysuit is made to keep you dry... not warm ;-) So, the undergarment is the key to keep you warm.
Some drysuits do both, some require undergarments.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom