Drysuits and pee valves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Used She-P and P-valve all day yesterday. Worked fabulous.

Glad to hear you're out and getting in the water, Marie. You deserve a little you time.

Well... I didn't realize it was a concern. Sometimes, I flush Steramine through and then follow with water. So, whatever ran out and onto the suit should get rinsed with water, too.

I guess I should take a closer look at my suit and see if the Steramine has been staying on it and leaving any sign.
@stuartv - how did your suit look? I like the idea of a dry tablet that I can easily pack and mix with water and use for flushing out my p-valve, but wanted to wait to hear back from you before ordering some.

Thanks!

@stuartv - how did your suit look? I like the idea of a dry tablet that I can easily pack and mix with water and use for flushing out my p-valve, but wanted to wait to hear back from you before ordering some.

Thanks!

My suits look perfect. My main suit is over a year and half old and it still looks like new overall, not just where I've been flushing the P valve.

Since we are on this subject. I have hundreds of great dives with a pee valve. Never any problems in the past; always used the widebands. Got a new suit with the latest si tech pee valve. Also the latest batch of widebands is from Bard rather than the old name Rochester.

Anyways - Now the catheter dome keeps collapsing during the dive and sticking, causing either painful urination, or completely blocked/a blow out. While not the most sanitary, I tried putting a little silicone grease in the dome before donning. Worked great to prevent sticking, but enough of the silicone works it way into the sides of the tube that it releases from the nipple during the dive- yuck.

Suggestions?

Since we are on this subject. I have hundreds of great dives with a pee valve. Never any problems in the past; always used the widebands. Got a new suit with the latest si tech pee valve. Also the latest batch of widebands is from Bard rather than the old name Rochester.

Anyways - Now the catheter dome keeps collapsing during the dive and sticking, causing either painful urination, or completely blocked/a blow out. While not the most sanitary, I tried putting a little silicone grease in the dome before donning. Worked great to prevent sticking, but enough of the silicone works it way into the sides of the tube that it releases from the nipple during the dive- yuck.

Suggestions?

Do you trim the pointy end of the catheter before you put it on?

I keep a pair of scissors in my bag with my catheters and I always trim that end. I try to make it just the right length so that when I insert the barbed fitting into it, that fitting comes right to the edge of the "dome" when it's fully inserted.

Yes I do trim it. Agree, if too long, it can cause a crimp.

Yes I do trim it. Agree, if too long, it can cause a crimp.

In that case, my only thought is one other thing I usually do.

Before donning the catheter, try to roll it up even more than how it comes out of the package. Roll it as short/tight as you can. Then do your best to put it on with your pee hole lined up with the pee hole in the catheter. Don and unroll it so there is as little extra room left in the dome after it's on as possible.

Kinking is a to often situation, the right barb depth helps, even if you can’t cut it you can push it deeper to achieve the same end. While I have experienced the end glueing itself shut :oops: I wish there were some cath’s with internal ribbing to allow some flow even when kinked.

Good suggtestion. Will try that. BTW - I use Steramine to clean my hose etc after each day. Nice to be able to carry dry pills and just add water to a broken piece in a squirt bottle. Since good enough for rebreathers.....

Haven't seen any effect on the outside of the crushed neoprene drysuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom