drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In Germany, I paid €790 for my Mares Tri-lam, and €279 for my Halo 3D undergarment.

Mine was bought used from the shop where I took my class, but I was the only one to ever dive in it.

Helmet 88, a member here on Scuba Board recently advertised some Diving Concept suits for sale. They were a great price at $800 if they'll fit, although you'll need to get seals replaced. This company went out of business last spring but made excellent suits. I have one of their top of the line, trilam, custom suits and it ran nearly $3,000 with all of the extras that I added.
I would put the Diving Concepts and DUI trilam, and Santi suits in an upper category. These are very nice suits, if you find one that fits or have them custom made. I love a trilam because I dive many different water temperatures and often the topside temperatures are very warm. The trilam allows me to layer and adjust my undergarments for any water temperature from tropical to sub-freezing temps. Also, there is no change on very deep dives like there will be with neoprene dry suits.
The Fusion suit is in a category of its own.
The Hog and Edge suits are a nice priced, entry level trilam that appear to be a very good deal.
Another nice thing about trilams. If you travel. They are very,very light. They dry fast. You can travel with a trilam to a tropical or slightly cool water dive site with the same or less weight than with a wetsuit and return home with less weight because the wetsuit takes so long to dry.
In Europe, you have some nice drysuits to look at, particularly the Santi. Also, since you live in an area with lots of cold water divers, I would assume that the used market might be decent. A used drysuit isn't a bad deal and if you're handy you can learn to change seals yourself or have the rings installed to be able to do quick changes of seals as needed, which is a really great feature.
Take a drysuit class and see what your shop or club has to offer. You may find a great deal on a used or last year's model on dale.

Just get a proper made-to-measure rubber suit, with dryhood, Sukelluspuku Loitokari
- with or without zippers, with or without a helmet

More pictures: IMG_1946

Water or kerosene - doesn't matter :D

If rubber isn't your thing, then there are the Ursuit(tm) breathing kevlar suits with tech pockets. Quite nice.

Whites

I recently bought a custom made DUI dry suit after struggling with a Whites Fusion suit. It is supposed to fit all body shapes but not true! Diving my DUI has made a huge difference in my drysuit diving. I can feel the bubble much better and do not have excess material in my arms legs and torso (yes the Fusion really didn't fit well). Having said that my husband continues to dive his Fusion with no problems but he is a more standard shape. You definitely must try a Fusion out if you are considering it.

I am another Whites fan. I bought the Bullet in May and have about 7 dives in it so far. I love it, it fits great and it makes managing the bubble very easy. The Bullet does take a bit longer to dry so I hang it up in my garage and turn on a good fan to get the air moving good. It usually takes a couple of days to dry enough (only in the winter) to pack it up. I don't really care for the Dry Lock glove system I got for it but in all fairness I have not had much of a chance to use them yet. I got the rock boots with mine and I am very glad I did. They are sturdy and comfortable. My wife and I got ours with the ring system for the neck and wrist seals with silicone wrist seals. I don't have any experience with latex seals but I do know that I love my silicone seals. The silicone seals are so comfortable to wear and they are pretty tough if you don't abuse them too badly.

can you expend?!? is that good or bad?

The Whites Fusion uses a completely novel approach to a drysuit dilemma: You want to have a "baggy" fit so that your limbs can move easily and freely. However, baggy-ness causes drag and isn't streamlined. The less streamlined and efficient you are, the more you have to work underwater. Therefore, a higher air consumption rate.

So Whites came out with the Fusion, which is essentially a waterproof 1st layer "bag" (DryCore) that allows the diver to be dry. But then the user puts a "skin" known as an Over Suit over the waterproof layer to tighten it against the body. This makes the DryCore layer underneath more streamlined. If you look closely you can often see the "lumps" of the DryCore undersuit when looking at pictures of the drysuit. You get your choice of Over Suit skins according to your preferences.

Nobody else - to my knowledge - uses this technique in drysuit manufacturing: Two separate skins that work in tandem. That's probably why someone would say they are in a class of their own. It's not a "good" or "bad" thing, it's just a "different" thing.

EDIT: Just found THIS video. Key here is at 2:40 when he mentions "over-cutting the core". He means that the waterproof core layer is "extra" baggy, which is what allows for the flexibility of the suit.

Last edited:
I bought a Bare just recently, and it's certainly the best I ever had. They've got many different standard sizes in their program. In any case, if you really consider tech diving then better be aware that even a thousand EUR adder for a good a dry suit doesn't make that much of a difference on the overall tec price tag...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom