Drysuit Zipper Lube

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grimbot

Registered
Reaction score
My DUI manual has a special tip about using a mild soap/water mixture to lube seals when entering/exiting suit. Anyone have experience or thoughts on using the same soap/water mixture on the zipper when entering/exiting the suit to to reduce wear and strain on the zipper? This obviously applies to actual diving the suit and not to the cleaning and storage routine after diving. Thanks.

That was an old school trick to suit up on Neoprene/ no nylon wetsuit in the old days. Talcum powder was another thing that they used for our wrist seals . We used Johnson's baby shampoo back when we were using Poseidon Unisuits in the late 700' and early 80's. Just make sure that you use the mildest soap because it can irritate your skin if it is too strong, thus the "No Tears" Johnson baby shampoo. We did not use soap/water to lubricate the zipper, we cleaned the zipper / area if it got dirty that way. we used bees wax, actually the dive store where I learned to dive in a drysuit was also a plumbing supply company when I first started working at and we used the Bees Wax toilet rings instead of the expensive lipstick bees wax from the manufacturers.

Avoid hard waxes, in cold water the crap gets solid and flakes out of the zipper teeth. Find a chapstick style at your LDS for $10 and use that pack for 100s of dives.

Screenshot_20240828_133138_DuckDuckGo.jpg

After discovering it in a sewing supply store, I used pharmaceutical-grade beeswax for 15 years.
Unlike regular yellow beeswax this is white and has no bee bits or pollen.
It's harder, stands up better, and does not flake off in cold water. I've used it as low as 36 degrees under the ice, and it's fine.
The only suit I did not use it on was my Otter, which had a plastic zipper. For that, I used silicone grease in a syringe on the docking end only. The zipper action distributes it.

DUI sells zipper wax although when I had a zipper changed out a few years ago by the late Steve Gamble he included a stick of beeswax along with it.

My DUI manual has a special tip about using a mild soap/water mixture to lube seals when entering/exiting suit. Anyone have experience or thoughts on using the same soap/water mixture on the zipper when entering/exiting the suit to to reduce wear and strain on the zipper? This obviously applies to actual diving the suit and not to the cleaning and storage routine after diving. Thanks.
Plastic or metal zipper?

For metal, bar soap works well. I got this trick from @Tracy

It works well and it’s cheap. The little bars of hotel soap are just the right size.

of course it works for plastic if you're at all interested in using soap

1724974876024.png

Buy a few spread them around give them to your friends to make more friends

Cheep, as chips, I grab some every time I buy some parts, not as cheep as soap

still got no friends

of course it works for plastic if you're at all interested in using soap

View attachment 858748

Buy a few spread them around give them to your friends to make more friends

Cheep, as chips, I grab some every time I buy some parts, not as cheep as soap

still got no friends
I like your attitude. I don't have any friends either. So there's that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom