Drysuit vs Wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Coogeeman:
:11: I've been diving in a 5mm wetsuit for years and its never been an issue. But lately, in fact there have been a number of dives lately where I have frozen my *** off inbetween dives that has led me to think that a drysuit would be a better option.

Once I'm in the water I'm fine its the waiting inbetween dives thats just edging me towards something a little warmer. Whats the thought process out there? Am I a wooss (thats Australian for pathetic) or would a dry suit really work?

Thanks

Coogeeman
I agree with everyone that a dry suit is great, BUT.. noticed that you said you were fine IN the water but cold OUT of the water. A wetsuit doesn't work on land, especially if there is any wind. Either get out of the wetsuit or put on some baggy sweat suit over it. That will avoid having to put a wet and by then cold wetsuit back on for the next dive.

Get the dry suit if funds are available - good ones aren't cheap and cheap ones aren't very comfortable.

Wetsuits are just large swamp coolers on the surface, you need to get it off as soon as possible once out of the water or you will never get warm.

I own and dive both wet and dry suits and I have to say I much prefer diving wet. Even a very good fitting dry suit is not nearly as streamlined as a wet suit. I normally use a one piece semi dry with a vest/hood combination. This offers good flexibility and less bulk than a farmer john with better warmth and I stay warm with bottom temps in the upper 30's.

Dry suits involve more task loading in some circumstances as with doubles you end up having to manage the air in the suit as well as in the wing. The drysuit also is generally bulkier and has much more drag which takes much of the glide out of each kick. PLus, even with snug fitting legs on my suit I still have to be concious of the potential to get air in the feet and this limits the attitudes you can comfortably achieve with a drysuit. No head down verticle descents or standign on your head while poking around in a crack or fissure with a drysuit.

What prompts the move to and from the drysuit each year are the temps above the thermoclines. When I start getting cold during the deco stops, it's time to switch. It is the period of time where I switch from a wet suit to a dry suit that I hate the most as the disadvantages of the drysuit are the most obvious after a season with the last 100 or so dives in a semi-dry. By late spring, I have consigned my self to the limitations of dry suit and developed an appreciation for the warmth it provides in 32-35 degree water, but I still look forward each year to water temps warm enough to put the semi-dry back on.

I suppose it's like monogamy. If I dove a drysuit to the exclusion of all else, I'd probably be happier and spend my days exclaiming how great dry suits are like most other drysuit divers. But that is not the case.

Pesonally, if you are staying warm in the water, I'd think long and hard before switching to a drysuit. Despite it's warmth advantages, and a popular opinion that drysuit divers are more advanced, more affluent, or ooze more general coolness on the dive boat, drysuit use comes with some significant disavantages.

I dive with my dry suit for all my dives here in the Northeast.
It took some time getting used to it first, like anything else, but after that I have no problems with task loading.

Nothing beats being warm in upper 30 degree water.

I usually only dive wet when I go away.

I have the 5mm gold core and I find that it drys very fast. It is always nice to put on a dry wetsuit for the second dive. If you like to dive wet, I recommend the Gold Core it works great!

I dove wet for my first season in the Great Lakes. One trip to Munising in the Upper Peninsula convinced me to spend the money and go dry. Sounds familar. I was fine in the water (actually the water was in the fifties), but quickly discovered that wet neoprene makes an awful windbreak. And if anything is worse than "chilling out" between dives, that would be putting a wet wetsuit back on!

Like many of the others, I haven't looked back. My 7mm hyperstretch used to be a back-up for my drysuit, but now does nothing but collect dust. I even used the drysuit for Brockville, where the water was 68 degrees.

I hope that you enjoy your drysuit. As far as being a wimp, I use a quote from the former coach of the Green Bay Packers about why he dressed heavily for games. "You don't impress the cold by acting like you are not cold."---> Mike Holmgren

Coogeeman:
:11: I've been diving in a 5mm wetsuit for years and its never been an issue. But lately, in fact there have been a number of dives lately where I have frozen my *** off inbetween dives that has led me to think that a drysuit would be a better option.

Once I'm in the water I'm fine its the waiting inbetween dives thats just edging me towards something a little warmer. Whats the thought process out there? Am I a wooss (thats Australian for pathetic) or would a dry suit really work?

Thanks

Coogeeman

http://www.dui-online.com/

I saw you said you only get cold on the surface.. I'd suggest getting a parka or some foul weather gear and just wear that over your wetsuit when you get out. Like someone else pointed out, a wet wetsuit on the surface will suck your body heat. THe water is evaporating off your suit and taking the heat with it. I dive an old 2 piece 6 mil down to 51 degrees F. I have foul weather gear(slickers and jacket) that I wear over my wetsuit when its cold out. Helps me a lot.

Thomas

We love diving dry! Wouldn't want to go back to diving wet for anything...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom