Drysuit vs BCD / Wing as Your Buoyancy Control

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay, I don't get it . . . yes, I'm easily confused; there, saved you from saying it! :)

I'm reading the PADI drysuit diver manual. It has an interesting set of instructions:

BUT

AND

I don't get it. Why use your drysuit as buoyancy control at all, given that you may not dive dry all the time, that if you progress into tec or cave you will use your BC or Wing, etc.

Why not use the drysuit inflate for squeeze from the get-go, and stick to using your BC for . . . buoyancy control!

So, am I missing something here? Would someone help me understand the pros and cons, as I don't see the issue with having two gas spaces to manage being an issue?

(if this doesn't belong in exposure suits, feel free to move it, Mr/Ms Mod!)
I use the BC for for buoyancy, and, just enough air in the drysuit to eliminate squeeze. Using your drysuit just for buoyancy is a prelude to a potentially nasty situation which could earn you a ride to the chamber. Simplicity will always win...

I really do think this is a matter of experience and practice.

When diving a single tank, I put all my compensating gas in my suit. I'm warm that way, and the suit virtually vents itself on ascent. I no longer worry about uncontrolled ascents -- I've gotten good enough at anticipating buoyancy changes that I just don't think that is going to happen any more.

When diving doubles, I divide the gas between the wing and the suit, and how much goes where depends on where I am diving.

I do think it's easier for beginners to keep most of the gas in the BC. But I won't draw a line in the sand and say it's the only way one should dive. Especially since the reason I changed was taking a tech class from a very good instructor, who insisted we use the suit . . .

For me that doesn't work. When diving in rough seas it can be necessary to vent air very rapidly near the surface to avoid a rapid ascent, and this simply can't be done with any drysuit I've ever seen. Whatever I may do during the dive, I always transfer control to the BC at the end.

I prefer using the suit for squeeeze and my wing for BC. I agree with the ease of dumping the air from my wing. But the biggest reason for me is the control of trim. Having the air bubble in my suit roll from shoulder to shoulder or roll from shoulder to foot can make it difficult for me to keep good control of my positon. I like having my buoyancy air in a nice, tight space without much room for it to move.

I started diving dry with an SSI shop. Some of the divers used the drysuit for buoyancy and some used their bcd. I was told to use the bcd for buoyancy but could never get the hang of it.

Then I started diving with a PADI shop and was taught to use the drysuit for buoyancy and found it much better.

I know of two PADI shops that teach all their ow students in drysuits and do not have problems.

I think it is good to try both methods and see what works for YOU.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom