Drysuit vs BCD bouyancy control

Drysuit or BCD for Bouyancy control?

• I use only my drysuit and BCD to float on surface.

Votes: 32 21.8%
  • Only BCD and little air on Drysuit to be warm

Votes: 91 61.9%
  • I really use both, Put little on my BCD and then my Drysuit

Votes: 24 16.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know that they teach you to just use your BC on the surface. It seems that with proper weighting, just eliminating the squeeze works below. Ok, with doubles that doesn't work and the Dry Suit classes are for recreational diving. So, there is some transition point. I guess the last concern might be task loading when it hits the fan. Dumping/maintaing air from/in two systems. Maybe that's experience?

don O

I'm new to my DS but I use both. I've also found that eliminating squeeze often gets me close to neutral. Once the squeeze is gone, if I need more lift I use the bc.

I am definitely newbie, but switched immediately to BCD for buoyancy. In my drysuit I tend to leave the valve all the way open, but find it just doesn't bleed off as cleanly as the BCD. Either the inflator or two dumps on the BCD just seem to do better at releasing air on ascent. Different strokes for different folks...

I noticed in a DUI advertisement the other day....they indicate the drysuit is suppose to be used for bouyancy control....not the bcd.

Just thought I would throw that in.

rich

velasced:
Hi,

I did my best to find a similar post with poll and nothing. I personally only use the drysuit for bouyancy. But, I was wondering how many people do?

Thanks

I use a combination of both and realistically speaking so does everyone who puts any air in their suit (even if the objective is to reduce squeeze).

Basically any way you look at it, the DS/BCD debate comes down to a balancing act. Comfort and stabilty are the main issues and there is no right or wrong.

R..

on the surface only; drysuit for buoyancy control u/w.

For the record: there is no "right way" or "wrong way"; there is only training & personal preference. :wink:

I like diving with just a back pack. No need for a bc in my eyes. It is just extra bulk and takes up extra air.

I learned to use onlu my drysuit underwater because it is much easier to manage one system than to manage both.

Falco:
I learned to use onlu my drysuit underwater because it is much easier to manage one system than to manage both.

Maybe that is why PADI teaches divers to use the dry suit - it is easier. A lot of things are easier, but not necessarily better.

I believe that if have the ability to use the BC for buoyancy and the dry suit for squeeze, then you can also use only the dry suit for buoyancy if you wish. However, if you only know how to use the drysuit for buoyancy, you don't have the skills to do both. Learn both and then choose.

Using the suit and BC is not a big deal task-loading wise, and that it is easier, should not (IMHO) be the deciding factor.

cameron:
I like diving with just a back pack. No need for a bc in my eyes. It is just extra bulk and takes up extra air.

That's great...until your inflator has a problem and it becomes impossible to get positive, or you forget to connect your suit hose. I was out with someone this weekend that forgot the hose and was not able to reconnect it at depth. His wing got him to the surface. What would you do?
Btw, how does a BC "take up extra air"?

Joe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom