drysuit valve - open/close

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i was recently taught (just got my first dry suit) to always keep it open

also, since my suit is used and pretty old, i wonder if maybe clicking a few notches
back might help with a mysterious leak that i seem to have (so far, the neck seal
has been the suspect)

i'll try it on my next dive and see how it goes

scubasean, LOL, I figured you must have just missed that one word "not" in there. :)

WileEDiver, I have heard of these leaks from other posters, that is why I asked, thanks.

Hey Andy, I was taught the same, but I was taught to use the suit for buoyancy. I decided I didn't like that on the first dive we did in class. Halfway through the dive I started using my wing for buoyancy. Thanks Andy (just ordered my first drysuit!)

Jason

Jason B:
Hey Andy, I was taught the same, but I was taught to use the suit for buoyancy.

nope, not me. my instructor, GDI (he's a member here) teaches minimum amount of
air in suit, wing for bouyancy

hecker-the-wrecker:
I tried to be smart and left mine "full open" & it leaked!!! backed it off 1/4 turn, no leaks!!! Was it a fluke?? No sir, second try full open, leaked. backed it off again, no leaks!!! D.U.I.clx 450. is that weird?? :06:

Not weird at all, Hecker! What works,....works! Just that simple.

Dryglove:
Is your suit equipped with a low profile apeks by any chance? Thats one of the leak cures for the older style apeks is by closing it a few clicks.

My new suit has the newer style low profile exhaust valve by apeks and knock on wood no leaks as of yet with the valve full open
yes it is! I hope your new style valve keeps you dry, good luck!! :wink:

hecker-the-wrecker:
I tried to be smart and left mine "full open" & it leaked!!! backed it off 1/4 turn, no leaks!!! Was it a fluke?? No sir, second try full open, leaked. backed it off again, no leaks!!! D.U.I.clx 450. is that wierd?? :06:

By any chance, is it an Apeks exhaust valve? . . . . Nevermind, I see others have already addressed the issue.

I just order a new TLS350 to replace my aging 350 (I will keep it for backup), and I am getting the SiTech valves on mine. On my old 350, which was made in 1983, it has an Apex exhaust valve that is working fine. However, I have heard way too many people say that they have had leaking issues with them nowadays to chance it with another Apeks.

BTW, if your suit is still under warranty, DUI will replace the Apeks with a SiTech if you call them to make the request.

Back to the topic, I always leave my exhaust valve all the way open.

I adjust mine as the situation dictates. It is normally a few clicks short of full open during the dive, unless I am working and am maintaining a specific dept and am more vertical in the water or reaching overhead, etc, In that case I will normaly crank the valve fully closed to prevent unwanted air loss. At times I will also want to loft the insulation a bit more and will close the valve another few clicks to retain more air in the suit (balanced by less air in the wing).

Since it's an adjustable valve, I see no harm in adjusting it when needed to adjust to varying conditions and requirements.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom