drysuit valve - open/close

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jason B

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
For those that do not use their drysuit for buoyancy, where do you keep your valve when diving, wide open, partially open, or closed.

Thanks,
Jason

I always keep mine wide open. My reason for doing so is in case I need to dump air quickly all I have to do is lift my left upper arm.

About a quarter turn back from open.

Rick Inman:
About a quarter turn back from open.
I tried to be smart and left mine "full open" & it leaked!!! backed it off 1/4 turn, no leaks!!! Was it a fluke?? No sir, second try full open, leaked. backed it off again, no leaks!!! D.U.I.clx 450. is that wierd?? :06:

scubasean:
Same, but I don't use mine for buoyancy...That is what I feel a BC is for...
I agree, that is why I specifically asked...
Jason B.:
For those that do not use their drysuit for buoyancy, ...

Thanks,
Jason

I keep mine wide open. I find that it regulates itself better that way. Mine does not leak. If it did leak, then I would have the leak fixed.

If my wing failed and I did need to use it for buoyancy, then I would close it as much as needed to regulate the buoyancy.

hecker-the-wrecker:
I tried to be smart and left mine "full open" & it leaked!!! backed it off 1/4 turn, no leaks!!! Was it a fluke?? No sir, second try full open, leaked. backed it off again, no leaks!!! D.U.I.clx 450. is that wierd?? :06:

Is your suit equipped with a low profile apeks by any chance? Thats one of the leak cures for the older style apeks is by closing it a few clicks.

My new suit has the newer style low profile exhaust valve by apeks and knock on wood no leaks as of yet with the valve full open

Jason B:
I agree, that is why I specifically asked...

Thanks,
Jason

LOL

I need to get my eyes checked...I misread it...my bad...But I still answered the question....heh

And, I have a scitech valve...no leaks...I close mine a bit only because I'd otherwise lose all the air lots of times...heh...With the valve just a click or two closed, I find that the air I put in for comfort remains...

I have a CLx450 with the low profile apeks valve. I find that with no pressure in the suit water does come in the valve if it's set wide open. So I have the valve about 3-4 clicks stopped down from wide open. As I descend and put some air in the suit the pressure is enough to keep the water out and I can open the valve all the way. I had DUI check it and they claim that it's fine and I should not have to do this, but you can't argue with results.

Back
Top Bottom