Drysuit Undies on the cheap...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CUunderH2O:
A friend of mine uses this under his trilam suit, with a layer of polypro underneath. It's a 320g fleece suit: http://cgi.ebay.ca/NEW-400-DRY-SUIT...183067800QQcategoryZ73994QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'd be worried about wearing that. Fleece holds water ... you don't want a fabric that is going to hold moisture against your skin. It also looks rather bulky.

Also, the other product you supplied a link for, is designed for warm water use according to the information / style.

I would select an actual Thinsulate or Fibrelock Pile material made of a poly (polypro/polyester/etc) that will not hold water but breathe.

jiveturkey:
The weaver and devore page has HH stuff but doesn't seem to have the Speiz Thermals. I checked the Mark's website too and they don't have it listed. I guess I'll have to try the store.

Weaver & Devore have it... they're just not listed as Spiez.

Here... try this link, it will take you directly to the product.

Weaver & Devore - Helly Hansen Spiez Thermals

Cheers!!!

cmalinowski:
So, once I get the base layer down (polyester), what do I want as the next layer? Is that where the thinsulate comes in?

You got it. Thinsulate, or Fibrelock Pile ... something that still repels water, breathes, and keeps heat in....

How much loft is required to keep the Helly Hanson jumpsuit working?

I use my BCD for buoyancy and keep a decent squeeze on my drysuit. Will these still give enough warmth in this situation?

Daval

RonFrank:
I don't get cold easily. However I realized that my T100 undies are NOT going to cut it in 40F water. So, has anyone explored the possibility of using something like this:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...&parentType=index&indexId=cat21126&hasJS=true

I don't get cold on my lower half easily, and thought this may be a solution, plus I could use it hunting!

I use them under my Whites dry suit undies, and Whites shell. They work great. I have been in 32 degree water without getting cold. My dive buddies, team, dive with neoprene dry suits with undies, and have gotten chilled at that temperature. I understand that different people experience the cold in different temepratures, but as a group we are pretty much equal at warmer temps.

daval:
How much loft is required to keep the Helly Hanson jumpsuit working?

I use my BCD for buoyancy and keep a decent squeeze on my drysuit. Will these still give enough warmth in this situation?

Daval

Should be ok... granted, the more air you have in your suit, the warmer you'll be.

After reading everything about the importance of retaining warmth after flooding, I went with thinsulate material undergarmets - the Bare T200 to be exact. I even got the little booties to keep my sensitive little tootsies warm! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom