Drysuit Undies on the cheap...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSarus:
The Bare T-200 with thick polypropolene underware may do the trick. I have the Bare T-200 but I think the Bare undergarments are over rated.

Well, considering I can get a HECK of a jacket (goretex, whatever) for LESS than dive manufactures want for simple Thinsolulate, I'm looking for alternatives...

Heck I can purchase a goose down -40F rated bag for less than most of these guys want for longJohns...

jonnythan:
I'd like to see a comparison of the insulation in there to Thinsulate.

It might be difficult to do a comparison as there is little information to be found on the fibre pile that Helly-Hansen uses. Best I can suggest, is try one out. I'll try to dig some some more information on the material. There's plenty out there on Thinsulate, but none on the HH Fibre Pile.

Judging by what I've read on HH's website, the Spiez uses their W-Pile Fibre Lock material (the best they have to offer), which uses the same principles as Thinsulate.

The W-Pile uses spun nylon or texturized polyester filament yarn. Thinsulate is made of polyester and polyolefin fibres.

Here's a link describing the material.

Helly-Hansen Fibre Pile

JeffG:
and how would it work when the suit is flooded.

Well, I didn't have a full flood, but I did have a partial flood (my first ever) a few weeks ago when diving Lake Superior. Water temperatures were a chilly 40F as the lake must have turned over.

I had a leak from the crotch down my left leg and behind one of the gillpads. I had one HECK of a booter. My entire abdomen and left leg was soaked, and I poured a few litres of water out of my suit at the end of the dive.

At any rate, I was able to dive comfortably and warm enough to continue for another 30 minutes before completing my safety stop and trudging out of the water. What REALLY amazed me, was that I started to sweat after getting out my suit despite the cool air temperatures, and how quickly I was dry after getting the suit off.

RonFrank:
When the suit is flooded?

Is that not time to get out of the water? :11:
I wish :wink:....sometimes you can't

lamont:
not if you've got an hour or more of deco left...
or if you are far from your exit.

Canadian_Diver:
Here's what I'm using now:

MEC - Powerdry Union Suit - Polyester $65.00 CDN

I've had the powerdry recommended before but I went to MEC the other day and this stuff looks very thin. I"ve got the Bare ct200 for really cold water but i want something for a bit warmer water without shelling out for the ct100. DO you thing I'd be ok in water above 12 degrees in the powerdry alone? Or should I be looking at mec's expedition weight underwear?

The MEC PowerDry union suit is meant to be worn against the skin as a base layer to wick sweat and help keep you warm and keep the nasty body oils out of the insulating layer, whether it's Thinsulate or Weezle or whatever.

Canadian diver said,

Here's what I'm using now:
MEC - Powerdry Union Suit - Polyester $65.00 CDN
Helly-Hansen Speiz Thermals - Polyester/Pile Materials $120.00 CDN

Not alone....

jiveturkey:
I've had the powerdry recommended before but I went to MEC the other day and this stuff looks very thin. I"ve got the Bare ct200 for really cold water but i want something for a bit warmer water without shelling out for the ct100. DO you thing I'd be ok in water above 12 degrees in the powerdry alone? Or should I be looking at mec's expedition weight underwear?

It's hard to say. It depends entirely on your body type. Everyone loses/holds heat differently. I would certainly get something with a little bit of loft to keep the cold shell away from your body.

I probably wouldn't do it. Not enough thermal protection with the Union suit alone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom