Drysuit undergarments for Channel Islands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Water temps are very similar. Do you wear 400 weight undergarments in Monterey?
I tend to get very cold, so I always dive dry with either a thick DUI bunny suit or a Weezle in SoCal.

I have the opposite fear, actually. I'm worried I'll overheat in the 400 weight undergarments I have.
When I go back and forth between Monterey and Catalina, I am roughly equally comfortable in my 8/7mm semi-dry. There really isn't much difference. 400 is heavier than I hear most people wear in Monterey, though. Do you have just a regular topside fleece jacket that fits well? Or double up on the base layer?

I dive with DUI duotherm 250 one piece with a vest in Monterey during the winter and year round in Tahoe.
My feet get real cold so I wear a pair of thermo socks with the booties also.
During the summer in Monterey, I sometimes just wear the vest and a pair of sweatpants

I never dove the Channel Islands in March but have many times the first week of October. 7MM wetsuit, no hood and just non insulated gloves for bug diving. My guess is that the water should be closer to 60 -65. As mentioned, everyone's tolerance to cold is different, and I happen to have a nice extra layer of some built-in fat to keep me warm. Up here in the PacNW the temps are pretty much 48-52 all year. I dive a Scubapro Tri Lam and use a basic rashguard as a base along with a Lavacore front zip that's basically a 2ml with fleece for warmth. Low profile, low bulk and also serves as great warm water exposure suit..

I should also add that earlier this year I did by the two piece 4th Element Artic undergarment set from Liesurepro (Scuba.com) and for me the set turned out to be too bulky and too warm so I returned it..... Gotta love the scuba.com return policy!

Average water temperatures for the Channel Islands in March is low to mid 50s.
Wow..... I did not know that! Thanks for the info!!!! I didn't know that it could fluctuate that much. I have actually experienced temps in the upper 60's and even 70 in October

Back
Top Bottom