drysuit undergarment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the summer I dive with a thin undergarment (100g weight) and I need about 12 lbs in salt water (6lb backplate and 6lb weight belt) with a steel tank (LP95 or LP104). I haven't tried my 400G thinsulate yet with a single tank but I suspect that I might need several pounds more... in any case I highly doubt the total will be more than 20lbs.

Polertec in 200 weight top, bottom and socks. That is what most divers in Vancouver use. I also have BARE brand one piece garment it works well but has more air trapped in it. 40 lbs is not uncommon with dry suit and heavy winter thermal protection in our waters.

sasdasdaf once bubbled...
nwdiver2, what type of tank are you using? 40 lbs is an awful lot of weight.

I've decided to recind my previous comments..... My first few drysuit dives were with Cabella's PolarTec longjohns... needless to say - not very bulky and I was able to drop two pounds compared to the 7mm.

However this past weekend after enduring the chilling waters of Lake Huron I put on my 300 weight SoftWear jumpsuit and had to add 10 lbs just to stay down. (30lbs. total, steel 119, fresh water)

And at that I'm contemplating getting some 400 weight thinsulate's, I can only imagine what change that would make.... It's either that or stick with the 300 weight polarfleece and use argon... I wonder if that would do the trick for cold great lakes diving in the winter.

Not so long ago my buddy did a bunch of dives in a DUI CLX450 (trilam), DUI 300G fleece undergarment, LP104 and stainless steel backplate (6 lbs negative) and he was perfectly neutral in salt water with an empty tank. That would make him something like 6 lbs negative in fresh water.

How is it that you require so much weight?

sasdasdaf once bubbled...
Not so long ago my buddy did a bunch of dives in a DUI CLX450 (trilam), DUI 300G fleece undergarment, LP104 and stainless steel backplate (6 lbs negative) and he was perfectly neutral in salt water with an empty tank. That would make him something like 6 lbs negative in fresh water.

How is it that you require so much weight?

Uhh - cuz I'm a fat bastard?

I didn't to imply that... More likely you are overweighted. Have you done a proper weight check with a close to empty tank in the shallows?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom