Drysuit undergarment question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

costi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been going around and around with this question and I while a few friends have given advise, I would like to hear what the "general population " thinks.
I recently purchased a Bare Next Generation Drysuit. It did not come with undergarments.
First of all, I have previously been diving in Maine, a couple of times a year in 34 or so degree water, but mostly from March on so 40 degrees would be more accurate. Of course the summer water will get up to say 60 degrees max.
Needless to say I am looking forward to diving the drysuit.
My Problem: after seeing a Great Price l online and speaking with a few salespersons, I have coming in the mail, a Bare ct200 undergarment. I see some Bare specs that seem to show that it is good for 40 - 50 degree water.
I bought it figuring I could put a layer on over the undergarment for cold days.
Most of the advise I am receiving(and I value very much as they are good friends and knowledgeable divers) is to send it back and upgrade to a 400 series.
My concern with going up to a 4oo series is that then I am locked into that specific warmth, while if I stick with the 200 I can layer up?
I guess the obvious is to have one of each, but after having bought the suit I need totake Baby Steps in getting this thing settup.
Anyway, any advise would be appreciate......Keep it and layer up or send it back and upgrade!
Thanks in advance,
Bob

The problem with the ratings on undergarments is that they are expressed in degrees, not degrees and time. Having a "60degree" rated undergarment is worthless unless there is a time frame attached to it.

For instance, I have a 200g Thinsulate which keeps me reasonably comfortable for about 1.75 hours in 70degree water (I can extend this somewhat with a thicker hood). Compare that to my 400g Thinsulate, which keeps me very comfortable for at least 3 hours.

Since I don't really know your intended dive times, its hard to make a recommendation. If you get cold easily or are planning on longer dives (whatever that may be to you), getting the 400g is probably a good idea. Otherwise, go with what you've got and buy another undergarment later.

The real trick here is the hood. It can make all the difference and should not be skimped on.

When I was diving my Bare NexGen Suit I would wear to layers of polartec fleece under it and was comfortable diving in the dead of winter. I have since upgraded to the Bare XCD2 Tech suit and have the CT200 undergarment. So far I have been comfortable in summer and fall diving. I would suspect in winter I may throw on some moisture wicking long underwear and be super comfortable underwater.

PfcAJ. Dive times usually run around an hour. I work outside in the winter and don't get cold easily....though I feel it more as I get older(lol). Thanks for the input on the hood!
Poe 67: Thanks also for the input. Sounds like we pretty much dive in the same waters as I grew up in Bucksport...Same ocean anyway though it is now Portland area ! I checked out some moisture wicking underwear tonight but am going to hold off until the suit shows up on Monday just to see how much room I have. That's encouraging on the ct200.
I'm thinking that I would rather have the thin suit and layer up than have the thick suit and not be able to layer down in the summer.
Bob
Bob

PfcAJ. Dive times usually run around an hour. I work outside in the winter and don't get cold easily....though I feel it more as I get older(lol). Thanks for the input on the hood!
Poe 67: Thanks also for the input. Sounds like we pretty much dive in the same waters as I grew up in Bucksport...Same ocean anyway though it is now Portland area ! I checked out some moisture wicking underwear tonight but am going to hold off until the suit shows up on Monday just to see how much room I have. That's encouraging on the ct200.
I'm thinking that I would rather have the thin suit and layer up than have the thick suit and not be able to layer down in the summer.
Bob
Bob

I'm from Bangor! I still dive there especially to Deer Isle when I come north from South Florida, When I'm up there, I'll run two layers of 200 if needed which works best for me since I migrate frequently. I prefer the flexibility.

buy a walmart Soft fleece fabric and you will be ok and save you money

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom