Drysuit transitioning blues - a lesson in humility

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Which is why I like to overweight with a couple of kilos in the winter. That gives me a little extra insulation, and I can easily do 40-50 minute dives in 4C water without getting too cold (it's normally just my fingers that get really cold, my core is fairly nice and toasty... well almost, at least :wink: ), and have BCD air to dump quickly if I fail to anticipate buoyancy swings.

I can understand that. If I'm over weight though, it is really noticeable, an i'm not really in control. Too little weight and I'm squeezed too much and cold and not really in control. If my weight is dead on, then everything comes together, nice and easy. (this is with no air in the BC)

My hands also get cold, but adding more air to the suit doesn't help. I would have to hold my hands above my head or behind my back to get the air I need into the gloves. Using 2 or 5mm neoprene wetsuit gloves under my dry gloves seems to help.

But the coldest I've dived in was 7C, so... do what ya gotta do.

I think the problem here was not recognizing in the beginning that it would be a problem later.
Or rather, repressing the knowledge and overestimating my own ability to handle being a bit light in a new, unknown type of suit. The crash of an inflated trust in one's own abilities with reality always hurts :)

The other problem was the boot size, which by itself doesn't cause ascents but makes the dive more complicated.
It sure made the dive more complicated. But the boots felt sooo good in the shop. Just snug enough to fit my feet with my favorite thick wool socks. And, apparently, just large and stretchy enough to inflate and slip off my feet when they were at the top of the bubble...

---------- Post added April 7th, 2014 at 10:15 PM ----------

My hands also get cold, but adding more air to the suit doesn't help. I would have to hold my hands above my head or behind my back to get the air I need into the gloves. Using 2 or 5mm neoprene wetsuit gloves under my dry gloves seems to help.
You know that keeping your core nice and warm will keep your hands warmer, don't you? That's basic physiology. I use 6.5mm three-finger wetgloves in 3-4C water, and only after 30-40 minutes do I feel the cold starting to bite my fingertips. Imla claims she's able to use five-finger wet gloves in even colder water, and AFAIK she subscribes to the same ideology of keeping your core dry and really warm.

my boots feel great too, but it's about the shape. Mine are sort of tubular from the ankle up, and don't squeeze around the ankle. that's why the slip so easily (the heel doesn't curve inward).

That is true... I am one of those who will dive 5mm 5 finger semidrygloves in 2C water. Keeping the core warm. Healthy breakfast. Warm liquids with sugar before the dive...

However... I must admit... this winter I have used drygloves 5 times... I am ashamed... Though it was just to know what I was talking about :D

My .01 Euro. (I think that translates to 2 US cents).

Every drysuit divers been there at first. Thanks for being big enough to post about it. It gets better.

Had another date with Ms Waterproof tonight. I think we're on our way to a nice relationship. Added another 1.5kg and had no problems keeping down even in the shallows with about 70bar left. I was pretty shrink-wrapped when I surfaced, though. When I had doffed my rig and taken off my gloves, I stuck a finger under the wrist seal. "Whooooshhhhh!" :D

And the crappy viz (around 2m) plus a gently sloping bottom with no features gave me a perfect opportunity to practice my compass navigation 8) I found out I need more practice...

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

had another date with ms waterproof tonight. I think we're on our way to a nice relationship. Added another 1.5kg and had no problems keeping down even in the shallows with about 70bar left. I was pretty shrink-wrapped when i surfaced, though. When i had doffed my rig and taken off my gloves, i stuck a finger under the wrist seal. "whooooshhhhh!" :d
I Love That Feeling!!!!
:d :d :d

I do second the recommendation for fin keepers. They keep the boots in place, and if you are having real problems with the fin straps rolling down, you can roll some electrical tape around the back loop of the fin keeper and make a kind of "spur rest" to keep the straps up.

I do second the recommendation for fin keepers.
Thirded :wink: I bought a pair just before the second date, and they worked very well for me. Put them on under the fins, and presto: no more boots slipping off :) And Large seemed to be just about the right size for my feet (Euro size 42 / US size 9) with the softboots

if you are having real problems with the fin straps rolling down, you can roll some electrical tape around the back loop of the fin keeper and make a kind of "spur rest" to keep the straps up.
The softboots have that already, but good tip anyway.

Since gaiters are expensive and many rec divers tend to stop using them after a while, if you are diving trilam I'd recommend the disposal gaiters that you throw away after a a few dives. You can buy them in the same color as any drysuit so it's not so noticeable. What's their name again??? Oh yeah, duct tape.

Back
Top Bottom