Drysuit Squeeze/DCS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ccrprospect

Contributor
Reaction score
How much drysuit squeeze does one allow before it impeding blood circulation/perfusion? Does diving with more squeeze theoretically increase DCS risk? I can tolerate quite some squeeze only adding gas if I feel it is starting to impact on my chest movement/breathing. I don’t like to have a big bubble of air inside as it makes ascents a hellva a lot trickier. I have had remarks from others though that I may be increasing my DCS risk as a result of diving with so much squeeze.

A squeeze represents negative pressure. No one should be diving with their suit in a squeezed state: it’s stupid. If you want to really “minimize your bubble” to the maximum extent, just add air as you decent and periodically check that when your valve is completely open all the air is out. That is an empty suit.

I do not understand why you are tolerating squeeze to any degree. Why do you not want to be comfortable during a dive?

How much drysuit squeeze does one allow before it impeding blood circulation/perfusion? Does diving with more squeeze theoretically increase DCS risk? I can tolerate quite some squeeze only adding gas if I feel it is starting to impact on my chest movement/breathing. I don’t like to have a big bubble of air inside as it makes ascents a hellva a lot trickier. I have had remarks from others though that I may be increasing my DCS risk as a result of diving with so much squeeze.
#1 You are not a cold water diver.

#2 DCS has to do with blood volume (hydration), nitrogen intake, and ascent rate, and perfusion (cold water being a problem). In warm waters you will need quite a lot of drysuit squeeze before it affects your blood flow but if you dive in cold water then squeeze means lack of insulation which means lack of perfusion and you are screwed.

This makes no sense
1) why are you diving squeezed at all?
2) you must be freezing

When it’s cold you add more gas to the suit and therefore need more weight.

Persistent suit squeeze is a symptom of poor diving technique.

Any fool can be cold.

Generally, anything that restricts blood flow can help DCS, either from worsened circulation or adding to circulation some turnicated before blood with micro bubbles.

Also, a normal suit squeeze can produce skin damage that looks like marbleized skin appearance from DCS. Mostly from trilaminate suits.

Not sure why you ever want the squeeze, as it makes movements and reach more restrictive.

All of the above plus you could potentially be at risk for IPE (Immersion Pulmonary Edema) with any restrictive exposure protection.

Not a good idea. Just add enough gas to relieve the squeeze and get some coaching on managing the bubble at various points in the dive.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom