Drysuit specialty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jaymal

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was wondering how valuable the drysuit speciality class is.

Will I learn any more from taking the drysuit speciality class then what I have gleamed from Scuba Board and talking to people who dive dry? I recently test drove Whites Fusion. No problems figuring out the buoyancy in a shallow pool. I sort of figure just making a half dozen or so dives in the ocean in my drysuit will teach me what I need to know about my buoyancy--as much as a class would.

Thanks!

It's odd that you post this thread because I signed up for the class. I too like you was very skeptic about taking this course.

But after having talked to other divers and reading up on threads I have come to my own decision that yes I require guidance in this area.

Where can you get better guidance than instructors that have this knowledge and safety behind them? Remember they place great care into there classes.

I think it matters on who teaches you and how many dives they have in drysuits, that is how I'm taking it.

I want to learn all the do's/don'ts that they have seen with their dives as well as their past students. Having that security is very important for me.

I subscribe to Scuba diving the magazine and read the article on a death of a diver who after getting drysuit certified did his first dive on his own with a buddy and it ended up costing his life; the article was called, "Frozen with Fear".

What I got out of the article was drysuit diving can and is dangerous if not properly executed, diving dry is not diving wet.

If you don't believe me, take a look at the instructions that come with your drysuit. Every other page in my DUI manual mentioned; serious injury or death if not executed correctly.

Please be safe....

MG

p.s
I do my classes this month at Break Water, I will keep you posted of my experience if you like, on your thread if that's okay with you.

There was a thread posted within the last couple of weeks about a guy taking the class. The one he took sounded great. If the one you're looking at covers what his did, it will be money well spent. OTOH, most of these classes don't cover that much.

do you know what to do when you float with your feet up? do you think you ever want to rent a drysuit?
if the answer to the first question is yes, and to the second question no, I'd say you don't need the class.

Here's how you learn to dive a drysuit -

1) Don the drysuit and appropriate scuba gear
2) Jump in the water

<SARCASM>
Although if anyone is interested in a drysuit class, I am still in teaching status, and would be happy to make you a master scuba diver with that and these other useful specialty classes:

Boat Diver
Multi-Level Diver
Underwater Naturalist
Drift Diver
</SARCASM>

My regular dive buddy and I decided to take the course. It was money well spent.

Our instructor was more like a military drill sergeant, what I thought would be a couple
hour course ran close to 8 hours. Our last certification dive ended up being a night dive.

We timed our certification so it ran consecutive to a DUI Dog Days event so we had a couple
extra days to play with some gear options.

You don't need to take a course, but IMO I think it can be worthwhile if you find a good instructor.

I haven't taken the course, but had a good friend who is an instructor point out the key issues with dry suit diving. What were they again?
I must have remembered because I taught my girlfriend how to dive dry. She had perfect buoyancy 20' and could "right" herself in any position I challenged her with. Wasn't the instructor that's for sure, she is very confident and had already been diving quite some time.

Like any of the courses it depends on the instructor and the skill level of the student.

O

Before anyone attempts anything new in diving, yes they should take a class on it, as stated earlier, if you dont know what to do when you end up feet first, and dont know if to dive with the exhaust valve open or closed, or use an automatic valve and any other safety issue, then dont put on a dry suit. the cost of the class is nothing compared to getting hurt while diving because you didnt know what to do..

Before anyone attempts anything new in diving, yes they should take a class on it, as stated earlier, if you dont know what to do when you end up feet first, and dont know if to dive with the exhaust valve open or closed, or use an automatic valve and any other safety issue, then dont put on a dry suit. the cost of the class is nothing compared to getting hurt while diving because you didnt know what to do..

Sorry I cant agree with this "all" of this statement...I have learned a hell of a lot more from the people I dive with then I have from any course.
Drysuit diving is easily explained and the skills can be practiced safely. There are key points and then you practice the skills. Because you don't take a formal course doesn't mean you cant get instruction and be competent in diving dry.

I was wondering how valuable the drysuit speciality class is.

Will I learn any more from taking the drysuit speciality class then what I have gleamed from Scuba Board and talking to people who dive dry? I recently test drove Whites Fusion. No problems figuring out the buoyancy in a shallow pool. I sort of figure just making a half dozen or so dives in the ocean in my drysuit will teach me what I need to know about my buoyancy--as much as a class would.

You're figuring it right, IMO.

I had about 40 dives when I got my first drysuit. I simply studied a good drysuit book and went for a shallow dive to practice recovering from feet-first out-of-control ascents. No problems then or since. That's how it was for most of the drysuit divers I know. The challenges are minor and the skills are easy to learn.

Drysuit Diving- A Guide to Diving Dry, by Barsky, Long, and Stinton is excellent.

Amazon.com: Dry Suit Diving, Third Edition: Steven M. Barsky, Dick Long, Bob Stinton: Books

Dave C

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom