Drysuit shelf life ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jeremy_k

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
i was wondering if drysuits have a shelf life. I am looking at a used drysuit (DUI TSL350) that is in excellent condition. I not sure of the exact age but the s/n is a 5 digit, which means it was probably made in the 1990’s. The seals are brand new, the material does not have any sings of wear, and the zipper is in good condition. So, if it was stored properly and does not have many dives on it is there any reason it would not last for many more years? The price is very reasonable for the suit, but I wanted to get some expert opinions before I buy it.

i was wondering if drysuits have a shelf life. I am looking at a used drysuit (DUI TSL350) that is in excellent condition. I not sure of the exact age but the s/n is a 5 digit, which means it was probably made in the 1990’s. The seals are brand new, the material does not have any sings of wear, and the zipper is in good condition. So, if it was stored properly and does not have many dives on it is there any reason it would not last for many more years? The price is very reasonable for the suit, but I wanted to get some expert opinions before I buy it.

Jeremy...

I have a DUI CF200 Signature suit...SN: dated back to 03-2000...this suit was basically an unused spare...has original zipper...

I had new neoprene seals and inseam extension/soft feet...new from knees down...also full service including pressure test...all from DUI...

I love it...best suit I've ever owned...DUI bag...and two pair new DUI rock boots included...I've owned a ''few'' new high end suits...and this DUI leaves them all for dead...

Hope I've answered your question...

Best...

Warren

So the material does not deteriorate u less used, is that what you are saying?

Jeremy...

Mine sure didn't...proper cleaning/storage/vented covering are all factors...in helping preservation...

UV exposure...suit being left dirty...ozone...lack of regular maintenance...smell...are are factors which will cause deterioration...

Look at the sellers house/car/garage/workshop...how he/she looks after everything else should help you to determine how the suit was looked after...

If you have any concerns...walk away...it's only a good deal if it's serviceable...and don't rely on luck...

W...

The latex seals are what I would expect to deteriorate, but you're saying they're new?

How far are you from Scuba Gear Diving Equipment | Dive Right in Scuba? They do great work on drysuits and could give you a good idea of what's going on with it.

If the OP really is in Joliet, IL, he’s the next town over from DRIS.

The TLS350 was crap right out of the box. It's nicknamed "The Leaky Suit 350". No way I would buy one from 1990. But, if you do, send it to Steve Gamble to make it dive worthy. LOL

What caused the TLS 350 to leak? Was it bad material or the seams? I have read a lot of good things about the TLS 350 except for when they had a few months of bad material.

Was the TLS suit that was army issued any better than the regular suits?

UV light, ozone, and mold are the big killers of suits in storage.
A suit from the 1990s, especially one with light fabric like the tls350, I would not pay a lot for no matter how good it looks. It could last 10 more years or it could last 10 weeks.

Its 30yrs old already, regs of that era may or may not have spare parts, al80s of that era are being phased out of service through general corrosion, visual eddy, and hydros, fins of that era have ripped pin holes and crusty dried rubber. Yes some of this gear is still serviceable. The majority is not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom