Drysuit seals part 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NuclearBuckshot

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
A week or so ago I posted a thread that asked for help with my drysuit neck and wrist seal. In particular how best to have them trimmed. After a few of you said to check with my local shop. Well having done this and been told "I don't trim them because I don't want to be liable if I mess it up. But I'll talk you through it." So then I decided to hit the net and watch some videos. While it doesn't appear all that hard I'm still leery of taking a razor to the part of the suit that's responsible for keeping me dry. So my question is this, are there any tricks to ensuring a good cut without the possibility of tearing later? And What should I do to help lubricate the zipper. Its become very hard to use.

Thank you,
Scott

Scott I was told to make as continuous cut as possible on the seals no matter how you do it. As far as the zipper. I use mcnett zipper lube.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

A week or so ago I posted a thread that asked for help with my drysuit neck and wrist seal. In particular how best to have them trimmed. After a few of you said to check with my local shop. Well having done this and been told "I don't trim them because I don't want to be liable if I mess it up. But I'll talk you through it." So then I decided to hit the net and watch some videos. While it doesn't appear all that hard I'm still leery of taking a razor to the part of the suit that's responsible for keeping me dry. So my question is this, are there any tricks to ensuring a good cut without the possibility of tearing later? And What should I do to help lubricate the zipper. Its become very hard to use.

Thank you,
Scott

From what I've read 1: use a new razor blade for every cut 2: put some kind of jug in the neck seal before you cut. 3: cut off very little at a time. As for the zipper they make zipper wax/lube just for that reason of zippers becoming difficult.

I'm not a dry suit diver (yet) but this is just what I've read. Hopefully somebody with more experience and knowledge will be along shortly. Best of luck :)!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

1. Use a Fiskar circular blade cutter available at hobby lobby etc.
2. Use a piece of tubing like 4 or 5 inch pvc pipe.
3. Use a sheet of paper to help you mark a completely level circle with a sharpie. You can also use a piece of thin cardboard as a guide instead of marking the guide line.
4. Work slowly and do not pick up the cutter from the rubber as you go around.

If you mess up, install a sitech neck seal so you won't have to worry about this again. Just make sure that you get the version that doesn't accidentally invert.

I have been using a sharp pair of scissors to trim seals for over a decade without issues. It is not rocket science, just trim a little at a time.

After a proper cleaning use a paraffin based wax. I prefer the McNett that looks like an oversize Chapstick.

The key to trimming neck seals is to do it under mild stretch. If you use scissors, try to minimize the number of times you have to reset -- a long, smooth, slow slice is much better than multiple nicks. If you use a razor, the big danger is that the blade will bind and pull the seal, rather than cutting it. When that releases, you get a notch in the seal which will eventually initiate a tear. VERY sharp blades on either scissors or razor are key. Rotary cutters, such as you can buy at fabric shops, make the process a bit easier, but you still have to be careful that you are pressing hard enough to cut all the way through, and not pulling and causing binding.

To eliminate blade drag, I found a cardboard oats package (as backing) and a new razor blade to be a great combo. A plastic backing, like PVC, makes it harder to make a smooth cut because the blade sticks more.

Best way to do it right here....feel free to drive over and I will personally trim you up :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEtgWZli6SI

On the Zipper, don't just add more wax. You need to clean the zipper first. Grab an old tooth brush and some MEK or Acetone. Make sure you use a toothbrush and not a metal brush....obvious reasons here :wink: I'm pretty sure you are catching on...scrub the old wax out with the toothbrush and Acetone. THEN, rewax your zipper...VIOLA....SMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTH zip pulls again

Back
Top Bottom