Drysuit Repair - DUI vs. Superior

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wait! if you have a seam leak it cannot be fixed?!? Wow. Didn't know that.

- Bill

I'm not sure precisely which seams this is referring to, but I have fixed leaks on seams in my own suits, and it has never been a problem. I've never sent any of my suits out for repair or replacing seals/adding pockets/etc

that's help me. tks!

Wouldn't AquaSeal be a great solution to fix seam leaks? I mean, isn't that what they use to seal seams in the first place when they manufacture drysuits?

That said, working with AquaSeal sucks!

Wait! if you have a seam leak it cannot be fixed?!? Wow. Didn't know that.

- Bill

Bill - not quite.
A suit in very good condition can be fixed - the issue with seams is that you need a really experienced bloke to do it. The thing about seam leaks is that it can be difficult to locate and if the seam material is in a poor state generally there is a tendency for a leak to appear somewhere else once a repair has been made.

It's not impossible but even a seasoned pro can find fixing seam leaks difficult.
The weakest part of a suit is often around the crotch area - leaks round there are particularly difficult.

Just to throw out another option . . . I've had EXTREMELY good luck with dry suit work done by Extreme Exposure in High Springs. They aren't cheap (but not as expensive as I've heard DUI is) and they aren't particularly fast (but no slower than Superior) but the work they do is fantastic. When I had the neck and wrist rings put in my Fusion by DRIS, Mike commented that the work that EE had done on the suit looked like factory work.

Just to throw out another option . . . I've had EXTREMELY good luck with dry suit work done by Extreme Exposure in High Springs. They aren't cheap (but not as expensive as I've heard DUI is) and they aren't particularly fast (but no slower than Superior) but the work they do is fantastic. When I had the neck and wrist rings put in my Fusion by DRIS, Mike commented that the work that EE had done on the suit looked like factory work.

Thanks for the tip...hadn't thought of them as an option. Your note got me thinking about pricing...here is a comparison of EE to DUI on certain common drysuit repairs...amazingly similar :)

Wrist Seals, standard (remove and replace) = EE $90, DUI $90

Neck Seals (remove and replace) = EE $111, DUI $111

Zipper replacement = EE $366, DUI $366

Leak test and evaluation = EE $70, DUI $77

Drysuit repairs | Extreme Exposure

Drysuit Service | DUI Online

Superior charges as of 8/27/ 2013 when I sent them my suit:
Leak test/pressure test 60.00
HD latex wrist seals 89.00
Latex Neck seal 79.00

And in all honesty they may actually be on there cleaner and neater than the factory seals were.

Superior charges as of 8/27/ 2013 when I sent them my suit:
Leak test/pressure test 60.00
HD latex wrist seals 89.00
Latex Neck seal 79.00

And in all honesty they may actually be on there cleaner and neater than the factory seals were.

Thanks Jim....looks like Superior wins the price comparison. They replaced wrist seals on my suit about 8 years ago....did a very nice job.

I had good luck with DiveRightinScuba for drysuit repairs. They replaced my wrist seals (although i've done those in my past myself), new plastic Tizip, new neck seal and they found some holes in my legs/boots. Suit is still bone dry.

Back
Top Bottom