Drysuit recommendations for Florida?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Been diving totally dry since around 2009. I've had the 7mm and semi dry suits for cold water and 3mm for warm water. Dove the Great Lakes, quarries and ice. Coldest dive was 34 degrees water and 18 degrees air. All I dive is doubles not needing any additional weight. I do replace my own seals and zippers. I find the zippers easier than neck seals.

I met a couple back in the early 2000s diving dry in the Keys and that started my conversion to dry. It's nice to be able to wear a a pair of shorts and a tee shirt to the boat or beach, put on a thin pair on thermals over them, dive then be ready for dinner afterwards.

it can be done with single tanks. Just use a SS back plate and V weights on the tank and BP( I've done it). Once I went dry, I'll never get back wet. No need to sent large amounts of money for undergarments. Just layer with different things like sweat shirts, thermals and such.

I see some of the local shops beginning to offer drysuit courses, and I'm trying to figure out if this is something I should consider.

I am a Florida native through and through, the jacket comes out at anything below 70 and I start layering around 50 degrees outside. I somehow have a feeling that come December when we actually get some cold weather, I'll be freezing alive both in the water and getting out 0_0

It's my first winter as a scuba diver and I wanted to ask for advice. I'll be diving BHB in a week or two in 60 degree air, so I'll have a much more concrete opinion then. I dive right now with a 1mm under layer for chafing prevention and a 3mm wetsuit. So far I've been ok and haven't gotten cold yet in the ocean waters.

Do people use drysuits in Florida (is it a rarity)?Can a 7 mm wetsuit work (altho that also would be expensive)? I'm not looking to spend a fortune again, the equipment was rough already! What do other people do here in the sunshine state?
I am in SE Florida and get cold easily. Even in 85F I wear at least a 3mm. I have never (ever) seen a Fla diver in a dry suit. We wear all kinds of stuff in the winter including 7mm suits and heated vests, etc. Yes, the surface intervals can be brutal. Last winter I bought a long waterproof Surf-fur. Super warm. Makes a huge difference.

When I was in south Florida a few years back, I wore a dry suit on tech dives in the 180ft or deeper range, especially in January. Never saw anyone wear a dry suit on a recreational dive though.

I wore out TWO drysuits in south Florida. I didn't wear 'em in the summer, but spring, fall, and winter, diving dry was great. I never bothered with an undersuit, although I had a bunch of them in different weights, but just pulling a suit on over shorts and a t-shirt was way easier than dealing with and wetsuit 3mm or thicker.
And that squeeze when you drifted down to the bottom and shot some air into the suit...nothing like it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom