Drysuit Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The valve should have a finite operating range for closed to fully open. I'd suggest having the valve looked at by someone who knows DS valves (be it a friend or an actual service provider).

I think the DUI/Apeks valve is around $60-70 and you should be able to unscrew it and put on another. You should also not have a wet chest unless your inflator is leaking, or you are playing with it disconnected in the water.

I can't comment on the class as I've seen it both ways.. its dependent on the person but if you are ever in a bind, it may give DAN/etc a case to deny coverage.

I don't think it's alway necessary to take the course. I bought my first drysuit used from the dive shop I frequented back then. I wanted to do what I thought was the right thing and tried to sign up for the course. The owner told me I didn't need to take the course and that he would take me to the pool and show me the finer points. He did, we spent 25 minutes in the pool and that was it. That 25 minutes was enough for me. I've never come close to having any difficulties diving a drysuit. It's not hard.

There was a local shop here in Massachusetts in the 90's who used to teach the open water students in rental drysuits. That's how I got into drysuit diving. My girlfriend took the open water course in a drysuit. I was jealous and bought myself one.

I dive with the valve wide open and just raise my left arm when I need to vent some air.

So, how does a perfectly functioning exhaust valve behave when you operate it, i mean in my living room. like i wrote, mine does some strange things. I need to address this whether or not professional instruction is procured..

R

Sounds as if something not right with it. Mine just clicks smoothly over the entire range then stops moving.

The valve should have a finite operating range for closed to fully open. I'd suggest having the valve looked at by someone who knows DS valves (be it a friend or an actual service provider).

I think the DUI/Apeks valve is around $60-70 and you should be able to unscrew it and put on another. You should also not have a wet chest unless your inflator is leaking, or you are playing with it disconnected in the water.

I can't comment on the class as I've seen it both ways.. its dependent on the person but if you are ever in a bind, it may give DAN/etc a case to deny coverage.

Sounds as if something not right with it. Mine just clicks smoothly over the entire range then stops moving.

Thanks to everyone, this is what i was looking for.
I will probably just buy a replacement valve, even if i fix i;m sure it'll come in handy.
Yeah, dan denying coverage, good point...

Roland

I don't know what to say about the noises the valve is making. I believe DUI uses the Apeks valves, and in my experience, they seem to leak when they are all the way open, so I keep mine closed down a couple of clicks.

Dump valves need very little pressure differential to vent. If you were at all head-up when hovering, the valve will tend to dump. And if you were overweighted for your session in the pool, you may have been trying to carry more gas in the suit than it will comfortably hold, and it was venting because of that. If you are properly weighted (negative by the weight of your gas at the outset), you should be able to hold enough gas in the suit to hover comfortably. DUI generally does a very good job of locating their dump valves so that they are on the outside of the upper arm, where it takes only a very slight head-up or left side or arm-up position to get the suit to vent. Although it's a pain if you are overweighted or don't hold trim well, it's delightful when you have those things under control, because you can do an ascent while using your hands for other things, and the suit will almost auto-vent.

I think it sounds as though you are doing a good job of practicing what you need to learn. A dry suit class really isn't all that necessary, but the card can come in handy if you ever need to rent a suit someday.

FYI, I know a guy who was an experienced diver, though drysuit use was common sense and though he was beyond a course. On a 150ft dive with accumulated deco obligations, he had an uncontrolled ascent. Subsequently, he had 7 chamber rides and permanent loss of sensation in his lower extremities. My opinion, it's your life and only you and your loved ones know the value of your life. Drysuits are not too forgiving to the trial and error approach. I took the course which was well worth the cost. I also recommend DAN as this save the mentioned diver thousands of dollars on his chamber experience.

---------- Post added December 19th, 2012 at 08:01 AM ----------

Oh yeah, covered his cool helicopter ride too :D

Reactions: D_B
My valve does not make any noise (DUI updated it for free when I had my, purchased used, drysuit zipper replaced)

A drysuit course is only as good as the instructor that is giving it
.. if going by the comments, mine was much better than most .. I feel that I got a great return on my investment (and that is what training is, an investment)
My review of my drysuit class and what I learned in it ... http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/advanced-scuba-discussions/260824-padi-dry-suit-class.html

My valve does not make any noise (DUI updated it for free when I had my, purchased used, drysuit zipper replaced)

A drysuit course is only as good as the instructor that is giving it
.. if going by the comments, mine was much better than most .. I feel that I got a great return on my investment (and that is what training is, an investment)
My review of my drysuit class and what I learned in it ... http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/advanced-scuba-discussions/260824-padi-dry-suit-class.html

Thanks D_B, i have read your course description before, and many of the threads you posted it in. seems like you got good training.

judging by many of those, yours was better than most...

R

Reactions: D_B
Sorry .. didn't mean to beat anyone over the head with it :wink:
... but I do think good training is worth any price, especially when it comes to things not going as you thought . and even gives you a bit of piece of mind when everything is going well

Oh, and this will probably come as no surprise :wink: but I urge all divers to get DAN insurance, and at the highest level "Preferred" .. for the price of one fast meal a month, you can hardly justify a lessor level of coverage

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom