Drysuit Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You should actually end up carrying less weight diving dry if you are taught to use the drysuit correctly.

On the wetsuit you use when you dive wet.

It is probably true for a 7mil, especially a 7mil 2piece, but its definitely not for those of us diving 3s or a 3 with a hooded vest under it! :)

diving in the Pacific NW at all!

That water is COLD! :)

Genesis once bubbled...
diving in the Pacific NW at all!

That water is COLD! :)

Then you are missing out on some spectacular diving. The best I have ever seen.

Me?

DUI CLX450 (front entry diagonal zip cordura/trilam combo)
Rockboots
200G & 400G Undies depending on temps (Thinsulate)
Latex seals
Connected dry gloves
Special Production (custom cut & extra options)

I had to get a special production because the large was too short in the torso and the XL was too wide in the torso.

I had a "disposable" O'Neill neoprene suit that I dived for about 2.5 years while saving for my DUI with all the trimmings.

Thanks again - I'm still a bit overwhelmed, but getting clearer on certain facts. Trilam still seems like the right choice for me, with a front zipper. I thought that was mostly for easy of dressing, but am learning of some other important reasons why front zip is better.

Lori, you're right - some of the best diving in the world! Especially in the winter when you have reasonable vis. But it is definitely cold. I'm afraid of the cost of going custom - I'm hopeful rack will work (measurements might be a higher determinant than I originally thought on this decision. I thought fit was less important diving dry, but am learning that is not true).

Genesis - 3 with a hooded vest is what I use for warm tropical diving, I can't imagine diving with less weight than that! Cool tropical can result in a double 3 (6) - Belize last February!

Hmmm, less weight would be very good - especially with the added benefit of bendable limbs (7mm isn't very flexible).

Good surface interval suggestions Uncle Pug (but <whine> putting on a wet wetsuit when it's 40 degrees & raining is awful - having it be warm is a bit better, but still. Easy solution, join the rest of the cold water world & go dry - stop whining).

And I thought bracing myself to pay for it would be the hardest part...

Genesis - 3 with a hooded vest is what I use for warm tropical diving, I can't imagine diving with less weight than that!

Not even my COLDEST-BLOODED dive partners need more than a single 3 mil around here in the summertime..... :)

I wear a full 3 mil more for the sting protection than anything else; I could easily get by with a shorty or even a skin in the summer months.

Bare was very accomodating. I have long legs and medium lower proportions and a larger chest. I sent them measurements and they put tall, medium legs on a large suit for me and it worked out o.k. I was also told that Canadians use a better grade of glue than us Yanks because our wonderful OSHA or something like that won't let the good stuff in the country. Too high VOC or aromatic solvents or some such thing. Get the tough materials if you shore dive-URCHINS and Rocks. My cheapie 7mil neo is covered with spots of aquaseal repairs from nature's insults. Neoprene neck and wrist seals are tougher. 7mm was a little hot for me in the PNW but worked well in Alaskan water. Compresses terribly at depth, too. Takes some getting used to- overweighted and cold at 100' from the reduced thickness, but much better than wet!!

Florida waters are great, but I miss big octopus, curious harbor seals and sea lions, crab hunting and the rich coldwater environment.

Good diving,

Don

You knew I'd work eBay into this thread eventually... :bonk:

If you're OTR (off the rack) you've got it made in the PNW shade. Tri-lam suits are all over eBay all the time. Providing the zipper is in good shape, the rest (seals, any pin holes, etc.) are fixable on the cheap.

I would highly recommend the following:

#1: do to the various sites for the major drysuit manufacturers (DUI, Andys, etc.) and download both their custom measuring guide (most have a form...the above two do) and the sizing guide for their suits.

#2: get a cloth tape measure (a few bux at most any drug store) and have someone else measure you, and fill out the forms. remember, their sizing has already taken into account the undies...so wear just a shirt and jeans during the measuring and you'll be OK.

#3: Go shopping. Once you know what size you are, your decisions get down to price, color and condition. You can save a BUNDLE on eBay and on www.discountdivers.com (the former being my second home, the latter offers tons of used suits and new closeouts.)

Narrow it down:

Material
Zip / Valve Config
Suit options (boots, footies, pockets, etc.)
Manufacturer (DUI = SoCal...no brainer for me)
SUSPENDERS.... ask BOOMX5 about that!! Gotta have 'em.

And let your fingers do the walking.

K

Back
Top Bottom