Drysuit Pockets - Necessary or Not??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ya... pockets are the shizzle

currently, my line cookies, gap spool, mini flashlight, emt shears, and
diver's notebook are in my pockets

very convenient also for keeping my keys during the dive (clipped, of course)

Boys and our toys.....got to have pockets for your toys.

It's amazing how much gear you can get in them. Wouldn't know how to dive without them anymore. Just make sure they are positioned properly so you can get to your shear in a pinch.

jim T.:
How are the Dive Rite "strap on" the leg pockets/thigh pocket? Do they do as good a job as glued on? One advantage is that they can be used with more than one suit or to decide if you even want a glued on or not.

I'm thinking of giving one a try but would like to know if they slip around much or have any other issues. I'm drysuit diving in case it matters.

Thanks

Don't waste your money. I bought one of those at first. They are a good size, but they don't stay in place...no matter how tight I make the strap. 2 minutes into the dive and the thing was hanging on the front of my leg. Get a pocket glued on where you want it.

Dive-aholic:
Don't waste your money. I bought one of those at first. They are a good size, but they don't stay in place...no matter how tight I make the strap. 2 minutes into the dive and the thing was hanging on the front of my leg. Get a pocket glued on where you want it.

Yep - Avoid strap-ons - go for the real thing....

Slimline pockets are useless. A nice big cargo pouch or 2 is essential on a drysuit for carrying things like spare mask, spare dsmb, spare reel or whatever you need.

Far more accesible than BC/wing pockets.

I had a cargo pocket and a knife pocket on my neoprene drysuit. The knife pocket is too small to be useful for anything else and too big for a knife. The cargo pocket was OK, but the bellows pockets have much more space and will fold flat if you're not using them. I cut off the old pockets and just glued on some bellows pockets! The glue is curing as I'm typing this!

Get a pair of bellows pockets!

I agree, the dive rite pocket is a great size, has the internal dring, but all the straps are a pain in @$$. I ordered a custom fit "signature" drysuit and it came with a pocket, for some stupid reason, I didn't spend the extra $70 (?) and have a pocket put on the other leg. Im kicking myself for that as Im sure I will send the suit back for a second pocket.

do it easy:
I had a cargo pocket and a knife pocket on my neoprene drysuit. The knife pocket is too small to be useful for anything else and too big for a knife. The cargo pocket was OK, but the bellows pockets have much more space and will fold flat if you're not using them. I cut off the old pockets and just glued on some bellows pockets! The glue is curing as I'm typing this!

Get a pair of bellows pockets!

I'm considering doing the same - on both my neoprene drysuit and my 3 mm wettie:

Who's pockets did you use and can people suggest their favourite bellows pockets - pref those with a neoprene backing and d-rings/grommets?

Cheers,
Rohan.

Tassie_Rohan:
I'm considering doing the same - on both my neoprene drysuit and my 3 mm wettie:

Who's pockets did you use and can people suggest their favourite bellows pockets - pref those with a neoprene backing and d-rings/grommets?

Cheers,
Rohan.

I got my pockets from Pacific Rim Aquatics. I believe this is the shop that NWGrateful diver calls home. Anyhow, the pockets don't have d-rings, but there are grommets for gear loops. They are nylon without the neoprene backing. I glued them onto my crushed neoprene drysuit, and it seems to be OK. One pocket was falling off because I didn't buy enough glue, but the other one that got all the glue seems to be OK. The corners are tough to get tight. I think that many people suggest actually sewing the corners down and sealing the stitching so that they don't eventually lift up. Otherwise, I heard that clamps on the corners help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom