Drysuit or BCD for Buoyancy control

How do you control your Buoyancy when diving Dry?

• I put enough air in the suit to prevent squeeze, but use the BCD for Buoyance Control.

Votes: 33 78.6%
  • Hey, why use the BCD when diving Dry. I use the Suit for complete Buoyance Control!

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • Other - Explain.

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm somewhat new to diving dry (~10 dives) and have been taught to use my dry suit for control and not my BCD (except at the surface). However I have noticed that I have a lot more control when I'm going up if I use my inflate my BC instead of my dry suit. The BC valve can dump a lot quicker that the suit valve.
This is especially true when we are coming shallower progressively (following the bottom contour), it that case I struggle a bit with venting my suit since one has to get into a almost vertical position for the valve to function. I feel that most of the air is trapped in my feet and that I might go up inverted at any minutes.
If we are going straight up I do not have that problem.

Not sure if I'm doing the right thing but it feel more confortable and safer since I'm more in control.
Op

Using the DS to prevent squeeze is usually enough for buoyancy control. It took several dives in the DS to get to that point though. I tried both methods for buoyancy control in the beginning. I liked using my wing because it's easier to dump air from when I'm ascending (I'm usually ascending horizontally). To dump air from the DS you usually have to get more of an angle so the air can be directed to your left shoulder.

RonFrank:
There has been a number of discussions on this topic, however I'd be interested to see the results on who many people use the BCD vs. the Drysuit to control buoyancy.
i've been diving dry for over 15 yrs. i put enough air in my drysuit to stop the squeeze and control my bouyancy with my bc. it's a lot easier on ascending that having to continualy be bouncing back and forth dumping both. my bc also dumps air faster than my drysuit so i'm less apt to take an elevator ride to the surface! ooh! no fun at all!!!!! ken

I try to be properly weighted and when so find it very easy to use the drysuit since just removing the squeeze also just keeps my bouyant.

O.P.:
However I have noticed that I have a lot more control when I'm going up if I use my inflate my BC instead of my dry suit. The BC valve can dump a lot quicker that the suit valve.
..OP pegged it.

Try it with double steels, an argon tank, and two deco bottles (together with the five regulators, etc.) Alternately, try that with double steels, a crowbar, a hammer and cold chisel, and two goodie bags filled with artifacts.

It depends on what you're doing, but as a general rule you're much safer using the bouyancy control device to control bouyancy and using your thermal protection to keep you warm.

As OP, who is admittedly a new drysuit diver, rapidly discovered...and for the reason he stated.

ScubaSarus:
I try to be properly weighted and when so find it very easy to use the drysuit since just removing the squeeze also just keeps my bouyant.

BINGO!!!!!!!

ScubaSarus:

Bingo too!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom