Drysuit noob questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes correct.

That is what we see, is the advantage of the modification. If you already have the round Pu cuffs installed, you would normally be reluctant to remove it and put on the oval Pu cuff. So rather than removing the round Pu cuff and installing the oval Pu cuff, you just modify the existing Pu cuff and use the rolock 3 kit with the smaller oring.

However, if there is no Pu cuff of any type already installed, it would be better to install the oval Pu cuff as it takes the rolock 90 system directly without any modification to the oval Pu cuff.

Yes correct.

That is what we see, is the advantage of the modification. If you already have the round Pu cuffs installed, you would normally be reluctant to remove it and put on the oval Pu cuff. So rather than removing the round Pu cuff and installing the oval Pu cuff, you just modify the existing Pu cuff and use the rolock 3 kit with the smaller oring.

However, if there is no Pu cuff of any type already installed, it would be better to install the oval Pu cuff as it takes the rolock 90 system directly without any modification to the oval Pu cuff.
Huh?

The QCS suit-side PU rings are soft. They can take (e.g. Antares) oval rings or (e.g. Ultima) round rings just as easily. The only thing that matters is that the circumference is right.

Both the older round Pu quick cuff and the newer oval QCS Pu cuff for the Antares are soft.

The older round Pu quick cuff is on the left. The newer QCS Pu cuff is on the right. Both the dimensions and the internal profiles are different.

Both sitech and after market items are incompatible between the two.

upload_2020-9-24_15-47-55.jpeg

I think i will go for the safer lock glove system, so that i don't mess up anything with my 0 experience.

A quick question @Zef, your Showa gloves are on your size or a size bigger so that you fit thick gloves inside? I am size 8, should i go for this size and keep them tight?

I think i will go for the safer lock glove system, so that i don't mess up anything with my 0 experience.

A quick question @Zef, your Showa gloves are on your size or a size bigger so that you fit thick gloves inside? I am size 8, should i go for this size and keep them tight?

I contacted SHOWA and had them send me samples in size L and XL. I believe I am using the XL. They fit a little snug at first but the material is stretchy and relaxes a bit with use (or perhaps I just got used to it). Despite living in Europe, I have access to a US post office box that SHOWA USA was able to send them to...not sure if SHOWA Europe will send out samples. I prefer not to use a thick glove liner and originally I was using the yellow acrylic gloves that came with a pair of SHOWA 495 gloves. I found these were thicker than I needed and negatively affected my dexterity. I switched to a pair of Dakine Storm glove liners and they have kept my hands plenty warm even in 3c - 4c water for @ 45 to 60 minutes....I could sustain colder water without problems for longer but I don't have a pee valve on my suit, so my need to pee keeps my dives to +/- 1-hour....any longer and I am in "code yellow" and it is rush to drop my backplate tank and get my drytsuit zipper open and the suit pulled down.

One thing though is that I use the little silicone spaghetti-like tubes that came with my system (the Si-Tech Glove Lock system will come with a pair of these as well)....it allows for air transfer between the suit and the gloves. There have been occasions where I have forgotten the tubes and on those dives I was not bothered by the squeeze but 2 things were affected:

1. The lack of ability for air to transfer between the suit and the glove - when using the tubes, when my hands start feeling the cold, I just roll to each side and raise my arms to be the highest point and warm air rushes in to my gloves which keeps my hand comfortable....this is more important in the winter when the water is below 5c (at least for me).

2. Without the tubes, when on the surface if I lift my arms such as to waive to someone who is out of the water or to indicate that I am "ok"....air tends to get past my wrist seal into the glove but has no way to flow back out...this causes the gloves to inflate and look like Mickey Mouse's hands...this doesn't really cause any immediate issue except that with the glove inflated like that one needs to be careful as it is easier for the glove to become punctured. This does not happen with the tubes.

I purchased a bunch of the tubing 2mm OD x 1mm ID from Amazon as I found early on that I would take my gloves and suit off and forget about the tubes and they would fall to the ground and be lost. I think it cost me just a few dollars for a 5 meter supply of it and I cut a few to length and keep them in a plastic container that serves as my save-a-dive/on-site tool kit. Some folks use a piece of this bungee cord routed under their wrist seal and others will pull the thumb-loop from their undergarment (if there is a thumb-loop) under....I find the all the different methods to be a pain in the arse to remember and use but the 2 issues I cited above are a bigger pain the arse...the silicone tubing works well for me...experience between individuals may vary.

-Z

If you don’t like blue or orange gloves try Showa 3415, I use the size 11 and thick fleece liners.
On the Ultima rings I’m using them untrimmed
79689349-435F-4E66-8C6D-5B491DD6BDC2.jpeg

So I can fold them over the ring to keep stuff, like sand, off of the sealing o-ring
AFB7879B-9FB2-4243-B68A-95B45AA31FE7.jpeg

Most XL gloves seem to equate to size 10 and are to snug for me, these have plenty of room and the excess tucks inside to add a layer near me wrist. I use heavily trimmed wrist seals and just pull the thumb loops through the seal rather than using the tubes, the tubes are a nice option too but I keep forgetting them when removing the suit and have to recover them from wherever they fly to.
631820CD-C8D3-407C-BB09-7B13C6809B4F.jpeg

I use the little silicone spaghetti-like tubes that came with my system (the Si-Tech Glove Lock system will come with a pair of these as well)....it allows for air transfer between the suit and the gloves.
When you lose one of those tiny tubes, remember that a short piece of bungee cord works just as well. I like it to be some 5-7cm (2-3 inches) long. And when you lose that, it's cheaper - and noticeably easier ‐ to replace.

Because you DO have a some bungee cord in your save-a-dive kit, don't you?

... I could sustain colder water without problems for longer but I don't have a pee valve on my suit, so my need to pee keeps my dives to +/- 1-hour....any longer and I am in "code yellow" and it is rush to drop my backplate tank and get my drytsuit zipper open and the suit pulled down ...

I feel you. From Tobermory to Humber Bay to Thousand Islands to the Waome and beyond. Even more fun in doubles.

(Think I'm talking myself into a pee valve.)

I feel you. From Tobermory to Humber Bay to Thousand Islands to the Waome and beyond. Even more fun in doubles.

(Think I'm talking myself into a pee valve.)

Belgium just went back into lockdown due to COVID-19 and all the dive centers and the quarries and lakes were mandated to re-close along with other non-essential businesses, so I don't really have need for one right now....BUT...I am debating on using this time to purchase and install one or wait to see if any design improvements are introduced in the next year or so.

-Z

Back
Top Bottom