drysuit neckseal - tuck in or tuck out?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mud_diver

Reaction score
Which way should I fold my neoprene neckseal on my trilam drysuit? Fold it over out or fold it in? I have been told both ways.

the 'skin' side goes towards your skin - that being the side Without nylon fabric on it.
It should be folded inwards in any case. That way it seals best.

It definitely needs to be tucken inwards, so that it creates a seal with your skin. The idea behind it is that the air bubble trapped inside the suit actually pushes the neoprene against your neck and provides a good seal. It take a little getting used to, but it's a much more comfortable neck seal than latex seals. Plus it keeps your neck toasty warm in cold water. The downside is that you can get a small trickle down the back of your neck if you crane your neck forward every now and then. But it's not that big of a deal... It's a price I'm willing to pay the absolute comfort that a neoprene neck seal provides.

mud_diver:
Which way should I fold my neoprene neckseal on my trilam drysuit? Fold it over out or fold it in? I have been told both ways.

Folded in, is my conclusion. And I have discovered the getting the length of the fold correct is critical to keeping a dry seal. I wish I could tell you what that length is (I suspect it differs between divers) but I can't as I am still experimenting.

Peter

NJdiverTony:
The idea behind it is that the air bubble trapped inside the suit actually pushes the neoprene against your neck and provides a good seal.
I hadn't considered that aspect of how it works.

Rolling it in also serves to tighten the seal physically.

Yes, I roll mine in, usually as much as I can 1 to 1-1/2 inchs perhaps.

Pete

spectrum:
I hadn't considered that aspect of how it works.

Rolling it in also serves to tighten the seal physically.

Yes, I roll mine in, usually as much as I can 1 to 1-1/2 inchs perhaps.

Pete

1 to 1.5 inches doesn't sound like enough material to create a good enough seal. At least 3 to 4 inches is ideal. I tuck mine in about 4 to 5 inches, and it's still at the top of my neck. I guess it depends on how long your neck seal is and how much extra material you have to tuck in. But more material to tuck in, is better.

Fold it inwards.

Back
Top Bottom