Drysuit Latex Seals: Turn Under?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sambolino44

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I thought neoprene seals were turned under, but latex seals just go straight. I just recently saw something that said to turn the latex seals under. What do you folks who use them do?

Latex seals do not turn under they are straight. I'v never herd of turning latex under since latex is the same on both sides. Neoprene come in both flavors. The skin (soft side) can be in for straight seals or out for turn-in seals.

Nope. Keep latex straight.

Yea, if you tuck your latex seals in you will have a very wet and cold dive.

I have a buddy that tucks his latex seals.

Don't really know why, however. But dude is dry.

I never tuck. I wear mine out.

Like my shirts. :)

---
Ken

I think straight is best, although in my limited experience, when they rolled to the outside, I stayed dry. Don't know about rolling them in....

Latex seals can be tucked, and in fact some drysuit manuals say to tuck them. The theory is that the pressure will make it tighter against your neck as you descend and keep you dry.

No harm in doing it. I tuck mine, and I've not tucked it. No difference. BTW, my drysuit manual says to tuck my Latex seals.

Odd.... I tried tucking my seals once to see what would happen. It was an unpleasant experience.

cummings66:
Latex seals can be tucked, and in fact some drysuit manuals say to tuck them. The theory is that the pressure will make it tighter against your neck as you descend and keep you dry.

No harm in doing it. I tuck mine, and I've not tucked it. No difference. BTW, my drysuit manual says to tuck my Latex seals.

Yeah, it was a Viking manual where I saw it. They were talking about the neck seal inside the latex hood. I don't remember seeing what they said about the wrist seals.

What kind of hood do you have? Almost all drysuit divers around here use neck seals and neoprene wet hoods. I wonder how well the latex hood seals, does it cause problems with the mask seal, what you wear under it, and does your head get wet? And does it cause problems with ear equalization? Thanks.

When I first bought my dry suit (used), the neck seal was just a hair too big. I tucked the seal in and it worked fine. With it not tucked, I got some leakage. I've since replaced the neck seal and it fits snug so no need to tuck. But I would do it again if needed. It worked fine. I've tried tucking the wrist seals but don't get the same results there, probably due to more movement in that area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom