Drysuit insulation for shell suits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We got measured for drysuits last week and are getting them sized with the assumption that we will be wearing 400-450 thickness Thinsulate.
Right now, I like the BARE Super Hi-loft since it has 500 g/m2 in the torso and 250g/m2 in the arms and legs. My logic is that this will provide enough warmth where needed as well as make mobility a little easier. In comparison, the DUI XM450 was uniformly thick everywhere - specifically for my wife, this one felt a little snug around the hips but not enough to cause any problems with movement.
Also looking at the Halo 3D as it looks significantly less bulky than the 400 level Thinsulates. Is it also made with some kind of Thinsulate .i.e. would it also provide some warmth in case it gets wet?

BARE high loft is nice, it does require more loft as name implies, it comes with more gas dumping on ascents.
DUI 450 is warn wet or wrapped around u under pressure..
HALO 3 looks nice never tried.

FWIW: I've had a number of drysuit leaks and, though pretty wet, was never very cold in my Bare undies. Thinsulate good!

I know that you want to reduce the amount of weight you carry, hence the interest in getting something warm without the positive buoyancy. However, I will recommend that you remain with heavy thinsulate undergarments. You will be warmer and in the case of a flood, the suit will retain your core temperature far longer than traditional fleece based undergarments. I recommend either the DUI XM450 or the Santi BZ400 undergarments. Be careful with the Santi undergarments, they are quite form fitting. Make sure that you have full range of motion.

If you must go with a fleece alternative, look at the Bare SB undergarment. You can layer in a thinsulate vest or a Bare SB vest, which adds quite a bit of warmth. Also, make sure you get a good baselayer. In this regard, both Bare and Fourth Element make outstanding products.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom